Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chart colors (2000)

Hi,
    I have an Excel files with several worksheets. Each worksheet lists a number of intranet-based information services and shows the number of "hits" on these services. The services are not always listed in the same order from one sheet to another.

I generate area charts for each sheet (and put each chart in its own sheet) but the color for any given service varies from sheet to sheet. I would like to always have the same color, regardless of the sheet from which it was derived. Rearranging the list of services in the same order in all the worksheets is not an option. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks.

Wyley Powell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Chart colors (2000)

Make one chart with the desired colors on the first sheet; then copy the chart to another sheet and click on the data series, then change the range address in the chart's series command line. If you repeat this for your other sheets, you should have charts with the same color.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You can :

- Select the chart you like
    - Copy
    - select the chart you want to look like the first
    - Edit, Paste special, Formats.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

5 Star Lounger
    Reading/Swindon, Berkshire, United Kingdom
    Thanks

can you explain why whenever I use this, it copies the chart title as well as formats? It gets annoying retyping titles in after a while!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Same here. Very annoying indeed.

When one save a chart as a custom type *and* uses this custom type immediately (when creating a new chart) All is well. If however one chooses the custom chart later on, the titles from the custom type overwrite the ones of your chart. Extrrrremely useful <bg>.

Sounds like one for the wishlist.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Wyley, I need more information. If you select a chart, right-click, and select source data & Series Tab, is the Series name consistent with the service? In other words, if I wrote a macro, how would I know which series corresponds to which service?

Changing the subject, I think that the Edit, Paste special solution will not work because the series are in a different order. But, for the sake of completeness, here's another way to copy the stuff you like from one custom-formated chart to another (but it won't help Wyley): (1) right-click on chart-options, select the Titles tab and clear the titles (unless you want them on the new chart) (2) if it's a scatter chart, double-click on each axis and on the Scale tab, make sure all of the Auto-scale checkboxes are checked (unless you always want that scale) (3) make this chart a user-defined chart type:
    -right-click on the chart and select Chart type
    -Custom Types tab, User-defined option button
    -press the Add button and give it a name
    Now, when you create a new chart, you can use this as your chart-type. When you no longer use this chart-type, you can press the Delete button.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>