Thread: SQL Server 2000

Lounger
    Thanks

SQL Server 2000

I am hoping that somone can give me some information about SQL Server 2000. The group I work for would like to purchase the software and start converting some things to it that we are currently working on. We use Access 97/2000 for database work. Does the SQL used in access and vba look or work the same as in sql server? I am totally stupid about sql server so don't know what I am getting into...any suggestions on a place to find beginner level information? Will it be possible to bring dbase 7 files or text files into sql server? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: SQL Server 2000

I've been advised not to install SQL Server for production applications without signing on at least a half-time database administrator; it has a lot of nooks and crannies. (Do I need a DBA for MSDE/SQL Server? (Any)) That said, there's no harm checking out an evaluation edition of it if you have a spare Windows NT/2000 server.

I recently took a fast skim through Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server. It has a good discussion of the issues in converting from Access to SQL Server, and describes various options for how to convert (or to make interoperable) the tables, queries, and Access front-end elements (such as forms and reports) that you already have. Certainly the book is not cheap, but I think compared with just the cost of licensing SQL Server, not to mention the time to convert, it's a reasonable investment.

Needless to say, Microsoft has tons of information on its site...you could start with the Evaluation page and read for days.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SQL Server 2000

Additionally, don't forget to ask the all important question: why? There is often a misperception that by moving the Access app to SQL Server, you'll automagically see massive performance gains. You can see nice performance gains, but they won't come about without a significant time investment. Good luck!
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><font color=blue>~Shane</font color=blue></font face=comic>