2 Star Lounger
    Canberra City, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Strange Behaviour

Each time I install one of Microsoft's now frequent security updates to Win2000 Pro, Windows behaves badly after rebooting.

First thing I notice is that the dial-up icon in the task bar for my ISP disappears as soon as I click it then after some minutes a message window comes up "Can not find Dynamite" - now Dynamite is a now defunct ISP that I ceased using about 3 years ago. I can find no reference to Dynamite in the registry or in Network and Dial Up Connections.

The I find that none of the desktop icons work

Attempting to close Windows by any of the normal means fails so I have to press the reboot button. After that Windows starts but with the same problems except this time I can select Start / Reboot but that simply leads to the screen greying out for a few minutes then returning. Start / Shut Down works but restarting then leaves me no better off.

Usually I need to close the computer down completely and power off then start from a cold boot - twice before Windows again has the ISP icon working and otherwise works normally.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and what I can do to prevent it, please?

Noel

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Strange Behaviour

It looks like you have software conflict. Usually this type of conflicts is difficult to locate. Sometimes the next update can resolve the problem, but don't count on it. Usually most of the updates are not critical FOR YOU, and you can skip the update until it will be absolutely necessary to apply it. This way you can avoid headaches after update installation.

The total solution is: reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows. If you are decided for so drastic decision, (I would not recommend it unless you are experienced in such activity) backup your data files, check installation CDs and serial numbers for all your programs, download all updated drivers and current patches, destroy your boot partition, create a new one and install Windows in following order:

Windows 2000 Professional
    All your hardware-related drivers and programs
    Windows 2000 Service Pack 2
    Windows 2000 Security Rollup Package, January, 2002
    Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 2 and Internet Tools and Security Update, March 28, 2002
    OR Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and Security Update, March 28, 2002
    all other updates from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office Service Pack(s), updates and upgrades
    All other programs and updates.

2 Star Lounger
    Canberra City, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Strange Behaviour

Thank you Kaplin - I do try to only install the patches I think necessary - but after a few bad experiences maybe I am getting paranoid.

Thank you for your good advice. I do have experience of reformating HD and re-installing Windows - and I do not want to do it more than I must!

Noel