Thanks

Re: Want to learn JScript...

Are you wanting to change the contents of two frames at once?

Try this from The JavaScript Source - or browse their listing of navigation code here.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Want to learn JScript...

Thanks Leif,

But no, I am not wanting to load two pages at once from one link. I'm using frames and I want to be able to "extract" the page title of my main page (the one occupying the biggest part of the window) and then have this title text show up in another frame (the top banner bar). Thus the Banner would always show the changing title of the page displayed in the main frame -- when a new page loads into the main frame, its new title will automatically show up in the banner frame above it... But I'm having a hard time finding the javascript that would identify the title text of the main page and then insert it on load into the banner bar frame...

Any ideas or help anyone?

Thanks,
    David

Thanks

Re:Cross-frame update of body element using script

I think this is something you would do with JavaScript and the "document object model" or DOM. If you pretend that everyone in the world uses Internet Explorer 4.x or higher, then something like the method demonstrated in the attached should work. (Unzip to a folder and open frameset.htm) However, Netscape 6 and later versions of IE use a different object model. Netscape 4 is more difficult to program. So... while it is not that bad in theory, in practice, it can be quite a mess.

Plan B is to use an ASP page in the banner space and feed it the lower page's title as a parameter, which frees you from the need to figure out what browser and version the user is using, but places more demands on your server.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cross-frame update of body element using script

Hi all,

I too am interested in Javascript, but am just beginning. I have only a few needs at the moment, but can see it expanding as I learn what it can do..

Right now I'm stymied on a simple (I think) thing I want to do on my web pages. I have a frames page and want to be able to show in the uppermost fram ( a narrow horizontal "header" bar the title of the page showing in the "main" frame below it. I want to have the title in the top frame change each time a new page is loaded into the "main frame. So far I haven't been able to track down the commands needed for this.

Can anyone offer me some clues or where to look?

Thanks,
    David

PS. This lounge is great !!!