2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

VBA in Visio (5.0c)

I have a question. I run some office software at home. The programs use Visio 5.0C. One used to work, the other never worked. I am running WinME. The problem comes up when the program attempts to run VBA to make a list of stuff on the drawings. It says it can not load VBA. If I re-load the Visio 5.0C and tell it all, it still does not work. I have to have the Visio loaded before I can load the programs because they say it writes to visio during installation. My question is : can I load VBA somehow ?
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: VBA in Visio (5.0c)

I suspect that Visio is not the culprit as it probably has loaded VBA just fine already. You can check this by opening Visio and choosing Tools | Macros and going into the VBA Editor. If it exists then I would think that it is installed.

You should question the developers of the software you are trying to run. Maybe it is set up to look for a specific network path before it runs. Your stand-alone machine at home is unlikely to mimic all the network drives that are set up at work.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Andrew. I just checked again (to refresh my memory) and when I go Tools, Macro, VB Editor is says:
    "Visio failed to initialize VBA. You can continue running Visio. Choose OK to continue."
    It looks like VBA did not load somewhere. Not sure how to load just VBA.
    Can you continue to help me?
    Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sorry Tim

I don't know what the problem would be if you can't reload Visio and choose an option that will install the VBA.

Have you investigated what version of Visio you have loaded. I know there is a big difference in price between Professional and Basic. I thought the only difference was the stencils that came with it (the stencils being the only things that make Visio a useful tool for the vast majority of users) but maybe Basic means "Sans Visual Basic"
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Did you ever get an answer to this? When you installed Visio, did you install the VBA features? If so, the problem may have to do with the version of the VBA files installed by other apps on your machine. Visio 5 was the last pre-Microsoft version of Visio, and I seem to recall it used VBA 4 or 5. Office 97 used VBA 5 and Office 2000 and XP use VBA 6.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Charlotte. It was so long ago that I installed Visio 5.0c that I don't remember. Is there a way to easily check ? I have to stay with Visio 5.0c for now to run my work programs. They will be switching over to Visio 2002 sometime soon. Maybe then the problem will go away. Yes, I have Office 2000 installed. The computer came with Office Small Business and I upgraded it to O2K. I have many VB files on the computer.
    Back to you. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Only way I can think of would be to do another install. I don't have version 5 any more so I can't check for any other mrthods.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, thanks. The problem with a re-install is that I would then have to re-install the programs using Visio all over again. They seem to change some parameters in Visio when installing (mainly menus and paths). I think I will go around one more time and if it does not work, then I will wait for the Visio 2002 install.
    Thanks for your help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Use Alt F11 to start the VBA design environment.
    If that doesn't work, then I suspect that VBA was not installed.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Howard. Thanks for the reply. I fired it up and hit Alt+F11 and it says the same message as trying to load it thru the tools. I was just wondering if anyone knows how to JUST load the VBA without loading the Visio 5.0c program all over. If I re-load Visio, then I have to go back and re-load two or three more programs. The company has not yet switched over to V2002 so I guess I will keep hanging on. Just that this was sort of a thorn in my side. Thanks all

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I expect that you will need to re-install Visio if it does not have a way to install missing compinents.