3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting question...

Okay, here's the scoop. At work I have a machine on a Windows 2000 network. My machine runs Professional, some of the servers are 2000 server and others are still NT 4 server. All of the workstations are 2000 Pro. My machine currently has 1 nic in it. I want to setup another computer that has NT 4 server on it, make it a PDC of a completely different domain (a test domain), and play around with it at work. The thing is, we don't have the resources for me to setup a completely separate test network.

Because of this I was thinking of installing a 2nd nic in my machine, giving it a completely different ip address and subnet, etc., that would match the one i would give the test server and use the server from there for my testing. I would put a switch in between my 2nd nic and the nt server. Is there any possibility that the nt server would talk to the 2000 domain? I'm thinking being on a completely different subnet and a totally different ip address would keep them from communicating in a damaging way, as well as the fact that it would be a completely different domain. But I need to be sure. I still have to tell my boss what I want to do and clear it through him. In order for him to clear it he will have to know that there is no chance that the nt server I'd be using would affect our work network in any way. With my machine possibly acting as a hub, in a way, for that test domain and our work domain to chat it's a valid concern.

Does this make sense? Please ask questions if you have any. Thanks for the help.

Thanks

Re: Interesting question...

As a suggestion, make sure that the other IP address's are outside the scope of the PDC.
    Paul Coyle
    Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Interesting question...

Another suggestion: when you will install second NIC, install different brand (if your installed NIC is Intel, install 3COM and vice versa) - this way you can avoid major headaches telling which card is which during configuration.