Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Express and Unsafe Extensions (6.0)

I was under the impression that the "Unsafe File List" in Outlook 6.0 could be modified using the following technique:

Add file extensions you WANT OE to block here:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftInternet ExplorerUnsafeFilesInclude

Add file extension you want OE to NOT block here:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftInternet ExplorerUnsafeFilesExclude

However, recently Microsoft has updated the OE security page -- perhaps after one of the recent Security updates? -- and now they say the only way to do this is:

On the File Types tab, click to select the file type that you want to block or allow, and then click Advanced . If the file type you want to add is not listed, perform the following steps:

Click New .

In the Create New Extension dialog box, type the file extension you want to add to the unsafe file list.

Click OK , and then click Advanced .

Click to place a check mark (block) or remove the check mark (allow) from the Confirm open after download checkbox.

But I don't want to do that! I still *want* the "Confirm open" box to appear. I want to stop OE from blocking access to certain -- but NOT all -- file types.

Does anyone know if I can still use the Include and Exclude registry keys? Thanks.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

I checked out my version of shdocvw.dll and it is dated 3/5/02 -- so it is obviously quite new and therefore updated by some IE patch. Even on this page Microsoft says the extension list is coded into shdocvw.dll. However, if I open this dll with a binary file editor, I see no obvious list. It must be coded in something other than text...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Express and Unsafe Extensions (6.0)

I guess no one knows any more than I do about this? I tried to modify the registry keys -- and no go -- the attachments are still blocked. This has got to be one of the silliest thing Microsoft has done -- they gave us a logical method to change these extensions, and then replaced it with an illogical one. Great...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

what happens if you use the check box in the options dialog?

also - are you using the proper format for the registry keys? I know the outlook ones use ext;ext;ext; - no spaces, no periods.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I really don't want to check the Options dialog choice as that will effect the "global" downloading of these file types. I only wanted to modify it for the IE Mail Client (Outlook Express), As for the registry keys, the way I read it is that they are actual "key" entries -- see the image below.

Thanks for responding. I am just frustrated by this -- something that Microsoft seems to do to me weekly.