Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE6 Hangs Up (IE 6)

My machine was running just fine, but I installed IE 6 because Woody's Office Watch said it was safer from a new virus.

Since installing IE6 I have had to crash my computer often because it freezes.

Are there any remedies? This is serious.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE6 Hangs Up (IE 6)

Which OS are you using? If Win 98, roll back to your previous version of IE. The two often do not get on, and if you fall into that category, there's not alot you can do about it.
    Last time I gave this advice I got a reply along the lines of 'well, I use 98 with IE6 and have no problems'. This may be true, but unfortunately in some cases, they just dont gel.
    If either Win 2000 or XP is your OS, there's more of a problem. IE6 should work with NT based systems. You have, I assume, tried the Repair route?

Rgds

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fine. I'm using W98. It's doing better at this point, but it hung up a lot at first. I don't trust it.

How can I go back to IE 5.5?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I also updated to IE6 and the whole system went into a crawl. I have been unable to attach files to the emails, open files received from the emails, etc. Out of total desperation I was going to remove the IE6, however, when I went to Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add/Delete Programs, and I selected IE6, I was prompted to find out if I wanted to revert to the previous version of IE. I followed the prompts and now I am not having the problems I was having before. However, I have to ask for people to send me their documents again to see if I can open them.

Hope this helps.