Thread: form (97)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

form (97)

I have a form that is on a share drive. It has drop down lists. Different people enter data and select their name from a drop down list. The next time someone accesses the spreadsheet, the names change from the ones that were originally selected. Would anyone know why this would happen and how I can get the selected name to stay put?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: form (97)

Where does the drop down get the list data from, and how is it loaded (VBA initilization code?)? Does the content of the list change, or just which name is selected.
    Legare Coleman

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The drop down list gets its names from a list created on another worksheet in the same workbook. It is a fairly simple form. Just can't understand once a name is selected from the drop down list - why it would change to another name in the list.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, but I do not understand what you are saying. How do the names get loaded from the other worksheet into the list? Is the data loaded by VBA code, or are the RowSource and ControlSource properties set to something, and if so what? Is there any VBA code that sets the initially selected list entry? What is changing, the contents of the list or which entry in the list is selected? When is this change taking place?

We will need answers to ALL of those questions before we can begin to figure out what is happening.
    Legare Coleman

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I put the list box control on the Excel worksheet, I right click on the dropdown list control. I select Format Control. When I go to select input range, I go to another worksheet in the same workbook where I have a list of names. I highlight them and then they are in the dropdown list . What is happening is that once someone selects their name, the next time the workbook is opened, the name changes to another name in the list.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Is the listbox on an Excel worksheet or is it on a UserForm? Previously, you indicated that it was on a form, now this message sounds like it is on a worksheet. There is a big difference in how those two work. There are also several different kinds of listbox objects that you can put on a worksheet, and it makes a big difference which one you are using if the listbox is on a worksheet.

However, I do not believe that any of the various listbox objects remember which item was last selected, they should just always select the first name in the list. If you want it to remember the last selected item, then you will have to write VBA code to store the last selected item somewhere, and some initilization code to select that item when the listbox is next displayed.
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

This sounds like you have used a listbox from the Forms toolbar. This listbox also has a linked cell property. I guess setting to some out of the way cell that might solve your problem.

If however your workbook is in shared mode, I would not know what would happen if other users open the same workbook, change that very listbox's selected item and do a save. Probably the other users will see the listbox reflect that change? At least if they load the file again they will I guess.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association