Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Explorer - ShowInfoTip Settings

I have WIN 98 2E installed on both home computer & at work. At home the ShowInfoTip setting works as advertised - this is the setting that shows a "popup description for folder and desktop items" in Windows Explorer (or My Computer) when you hover mouse over a file or other item; this description is also displayed on left portion of Explorer window when you select View as Web Page option. Example, for a Word file, document properties such as Title, Author, & Comments will be displayed. On computer at work, popup description does not appear, nor is description displayed when you select View as Web Page. Both machines have the "Show pop-up description" setting checked under Folder Options/View/Advanced Settings; likewise, the option appears turned on (value = 1) if you look at the corresponding Registry setting[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorerAdvanced]. The only significant difference I can think of is that machine at work is on network (Novell NetWare), and is using a different version of IE (5.X).

If anyone knows how to fix this annoyance plz advise!!
    THANX

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Windows Explorer - ShowInfoTip Settings

Or you IS department has bloced the use of this item. I know seval IS departments that will disable a lot of these tools because they interfere with the network.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Explorer - ShowInfoTips - Solved

PROBLEM SOLVED:
    At work we have a customized installation of IE 5.5 for security & other reasons. Fixed problem by going to Control Panel Add/Remove Programs, selecting MS Internet Explorer from list, then running "Repair Internet Explorer" option & restarting computer. This method has fixed a lot of other unusual problems in past, I should have known IE was the culprit behind this....