4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ROXIO GO BACK CAN DESTROY WINDOWS XP (Windows XP Pro)

) Roxio Go Back has a new patch in a non-descript position
    on its web site. They say absolutely nothing
    about why you need that patch.
    2) This does not apply to Easy CD Creator 5 plus one of
    whose two patches has been known to disable the low end
    Roxio Burner in Windows XP.
    3) Microsoft knows the incidence of calls on this problem
    but I can't find out--they log all their repair call notes.
    What happens is that all of a sudden you'll get a crash
    and a blue screen with a Stop Error that is C00021a.
    Tech Support I talked to say they are getting a spike of
    calls and I talked to several.
    3) There is a KB Article (Q 316503) that purports to convey this.
    It is near worthless because it ONLY says you'll get a stop
    error. A number of stop errors mean you can reboot. Not
    with this puppy. It destroys your MBR or puts it where
    you ain't gonna see it no more. It destroys boot.ini
    and you'll be missing NTLDR. With NTLDR gone in this particular problem maybe not others because it can be
    repaired or gotten from another operating system, you aren't going back up to Windows and your computer will
    be rendered a large paperweight of varying size; the next time you are in Windows
    you will have formated and reloaded the operating system.
    A current backup would make it fairly painless.
    As you know there is a powerful tool called the MRC-and I lived in it all last week. You can run commands to fix
    your MBR like fixboot and fixmbr and you can
    make a new registry and you can run Chkdsk /r as well
    as bootcfg /rebuild to make a new boot.ini--but that won't
    work when you see this screen. It often travels with a
    7B hardware error.

The reason none of these commands will help you with this
    conflict and none of the boot discs will work (the low
    end msdos by Rt. clicking "A"; the 6 from the website;
    homebrewing by getting the six and erasing the first
    and putting NTLDR, NTdetect.com and boot.ini and renaming
    them on the first of the six is because Roxio Go Back
    WITHOUT THE NEW ALMOST HIDDEN PATCH WILL DESTROY YOUR PARTITIONS BEYOND ANY REPAIR
    on either an NTFS or FAT 32 FILE SYSTEM.
    Consider how people are being warned of this:
    1) Microsoft could include it in a Security Bulletin
    but they don't. They could include it in Windows Platform
    News ; they don't. They could put in on the XP Web Site--
    they ain't gonna. I haven't seen it in the "XP Expert Zone" or anyother MS webpage. And here's my logic.
    Roxio Go Back when patched not to do this is very helpful.
    System Restore and Registry Export snapshots don't work
    lots of the time. Scanreg /restore from the command line
    works sometimes when System Restore won't and it is coming
    to XP in August in SP1 as a free download and Longhorn,
    Blackcomb I would assume. But something as devestating as
    this should be conveyed by all three companies.
    Microsoft knows Symantec--it put defrag in every flavor
    of OS from 95 through 2000; Diskeeper has the XP contract.
    Roxio supplies the low end burner intrinsic to XP.
    The KB says to fix it by uninstalling Roxio and
    adding any patches. That's fine except that if you are
    caught unaware you aren't going anywhere near Windows on
    your machine you won't be booting with anything not even a "J Lo CD." The color you are gonna see is blue and
    white or the contemporary fashion statement of black and
    white of the Microsoft Recover Console--put in the XP
    CD ROM>F2>Press "r" when in Setup and you'll be there.
    The MRC as chronicled in the Resource Kit is a powerful
    tool granted--but this conflict is it's quintissential
    Kryptonite.

Many enthusiast, hobbyists, Windows Watchers and IT Pros will be all over these resources and the MSKB--but the average
    Windows user who isn't hobby or IT oriented is not; and even people who read much of the MSKB don't
    have time to troll for a myriad of unknown problems that will destroy XP.
    The average user out there doesn't read in the MSKB--the average reader on this board probably does.
    I don't want a lot more people to have this problem.
    Roxio Go Back does not sell a lot of boxes in stores or on
    the website--it get's on hard drives with Norton System Works and I know a lot of those yellow boxes are bought I
    just can't give you the number. Granted you have to click
    on it--it doesn't automatically install but most people
    will--and it's a great help but the patch got up there
    last week. XP and Norton System Works were out there
    many months ago--particularly if one ran a Beta.

Thanks--brevity being the soul of wit sorry for long post.

defrag

Thanks

Re: ROXIO GO BACK CAN DESTROY WINDOWS XP (Windows XP Pro)

I have Roxio Go Back on my machine and it runs great.
    You MUST have version 3.0 or the latest Ver. 3.11 to run on Win XP.
    Earlier versions will NOT run properly on XP.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Defrag,

Roxio Go Back has a new patch in a non-descript position on its web site. They say absolutely nothing
    about why you need that patch.

Do you need this with the latest version of GoBack? I have used mine on Win XP Pro with no problems. If this patch is so well hidden can you direct me to it? I have searched their site and found nothing about a patch for Windows XP. I did see the Windows XP compatible version of GoBack which is what I have loaded on my computer. Is that what you are talking about?

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

GoBack isn't the main issue - Take Two is. It was removed from current builds of CD Creator and applying the latest update for CD Creator will disable it.

Information on why Take Two was removed is on the Roxio site.

Roxio's support is OK, not the worst and not the best - but disseminating erroneous information about their products won't help anyone.
    -Mark

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Note well :
    if the information is erroneous, it is potentially libellous. What is the point of alowing such a message to be disseminated? If it's false, t's bad : remove it forthwith. Disinformation is not what this board's about. In any case, it's a rambling shambles of a message that, if true, needs considerable pruning.

<hr>disseminating erroneous information about their products won't help anyone<hr>
    Yes, it will. Litigation klingons.

If I'd had the power, it would have been deleted as soon as I'd read it. Claude?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,

Thanks for the information. I was aware of Take Two and it was not installed on my Win XP machine. Maybe that is why I like GoBack so well, I have had no problems with it. I even like Easy CD Creator Platinum but don't yet have "Direct CD" working because I can't figure out how to install it by reading Roxio's information on the subject.

but disseminating erroneous information about their products won't help anyone. If this was for me I
    H Lewton

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The way I got Roxio Go Back, Viking, was the way that 99% of people get it. I got it
    with Norton System Works Professional 2002 as an optional install and it did not get
    on the shelves in my town (large one) until February 13--Norton System Works Pro.
    I had the latest version. You still need the patch which is free at
    http://www.roxio.com/en/support/roxio_supp..._updatesv3.html
    even if you are running the latest version. The key is the incidence of times it destroys
    partitions in XP. I don't know the percent. But I used Roxio Go Back for 6 months
    with the Beta RC1 and no problems and I used it (the latest version) for 2 months
    with Win XP Pro (a clean installation--the full version no upgrade) and did get the problem.
    There is no warning to get the patch and the problem is well known to Roxio, Norton /
    Symantec, and darn well known to Microsoft Research. The key is out of 100,000 users
    (like a drug side effect) how many will it impact. Appreciate your comment
    but I was using the latest version delivered in a Norton System Works Pro 2002
    put on the shelf four months well after the XP launch on October 25. And Microsoft
    says companies like Roxio have the basic code 18 months prior to RTM that will be in a new OS
    despite the fanfare they are up all night tweaking Build 2600 before Bill and Jim
    Alchin wave goodby to the helicopters. These bugs could be better avoided just
    as Windows XP could uninstall a lot cleaner and more successfully and tweaking
    processes on the Windows Task Manager could be explained in Help and Support
    but it isn't and they aren't.
    Roxio Go Back is a valuable utility or application if you don't get stung without
    the patch. System Restore, I and a lot of others have found, is a much overhyped
    recovery tool that is weak. I don't know all the reasons, but I do know that come
    August when SP1 is made available for Windows XP, it will have scanreg/ restore
    that you can put in the command line and give you 5-99 registry pictures because
    they're tech support among others asked the developers for it.

defrag

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MercC--
    I always value your information, your links, and the downloads on your site. But I'm
    confused as to which message is a "rambling shambles," which is "disinformation",
    and which is "libel." I don't know anything about Take Two. I used Adaptic 4 but not ever
    on Windows XP. I wasn't talking about CD creators or Take Two. I do know
    that Roxio Go Back on the shelf now can destroy XP partitions as well as the MBR. I don't know the incidence or why-- I wish I did.
    I do know that Microsoft got a number of calls about it. I do know that Roxio knows about
    it. I do know that Roxio would neither respond to Microsoft Research nor would they respond
    to me. I do know that when I contacted Symantec, they referred me to Roxio.
    I don't know about Roxio not responding in 6 weeks; I do know they never responded to me
    for more than six months--and haven't to date. I would like to read the 1) "rambling shambles" info 2) the "disinformation" and 3) what is being invoked as "libel."
    Hope you don't think my message
    is disinformation. I try to be careful what I put on this board. I can tell you if you
    see a 21A Blue Screen on a Windows machine, you have a problem caused by Roxio
    Go Back before that patch and you won't be able to repair it in the MRC and you won't
    be booting up with that operating system until you reload it. And all the homemade
    files that you make won't get you past that blue screen.
    If the boxes on the shelves now that are Roxio Go Back are to be XP compatible for
    everyone that uses them, then they need to put an explicit sticker on them to direct
    people to go to
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    to get the 3.11 update--for $50 a box Roxio should do that; and since 95 plus percent
    of Roxio Go Back gets sold in a Norton System Works box, for $100 Symantec should
    as well. Roxio should also be more clear on its web site, because getting to the
    patch is not particularly easy and the reason it is necessary is not contexted at all.
    It's not that Windows XP might not work without a 3.11 upgrade; it's that it's partitions
    could be destroyed and you would have a 21a bluescreen in your operating system's
    place.

Microsoft has posted this KB article on the problem:

GoBack Causes a Stop Error C000021a (Q316503)

They recommend getting the update, although they don't call the upgrade Version 3.11.
    Microsoft has an intriguing solution to the blue screen/21A error. They suggest you
    uninstall it and then use the upgrade. The upgrade would have to be added to
    Roxio Go Back. The problem is that you can't boot in any way when you see this
    error. You can't boot into Safe Mode. You can't use Last Known Good. You can't
    fix with the MRC. So there is no way you will be able to add the upgrade to RGB
    on that OS. You would have to reload to do it.

Would be appreciative of being directed to what is "libelous, rambling shambles,
    disinformation."

Thanks,

defrag

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by WyllyWylly on 30-Jun-02 23:58.</P>Hlewton--Sorry. I just picked this up and the point is that none of the three companies
    has alerted people. It's a great utility much better than System Restore which is very
    ineffectual much of the time in Windows XP. The key is the incidence of it's side effect of
    destroying XP partitions. I repeatedly wrote all 3 companies and had extensive talks
    with Microsoft about alerting people; they are legal gun shy. Wonder why? You get to the download which you should be applied to protect you here. Sorry I just cannot master
    hyperlinking on this board, but I am going to get it done.

1) Go to http://www.roxio.com>Click on Support>Click on Go Back and you'll also get to the
    page that way. They don't make it easy and you'll notice they just say here's the update
    with no context whatsoever. They know about it. They just choose not to put it anywhere
    to warn you. Even after my problem, I would get Go Back again, but I'd put in the
    patch.
    According to Microsoft Tech Support for XP they have gotten a large number of calls.
    I cannot get the incidence out of Microsoft but they have it on their servers.

Thanks,

defrag

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Defrag,

Thanks very much. I will go get the patch immediately.
    H Lewton