3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What does this do? ((n/a))

This may not be the write place for this, but I figured if anyone knew, you guys (& gals) would.

I received an email today which outlook tells me is a) HTML formatted and [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] contains scripted elements that it can't run (hooray! something works right, anyhow). Occasionally, this is valid, but the email was otherwise completely blank, plus it had a description like "updated November 3 2000" which kinda made me suspicous right away.

Looking at the source, there's nothing in it apart from the message header and the following IFRAME tag:

<pre>IFRAME src="cid:OJE17V58O" width=0 height=0</pre>

Now, IFRAME I can work out - but what the heck does the src element do? What IS a "CID:"?? I guess it's up to no good because of the width & height set to zero, but McAfee declined to recognise it as a virus. Should I warn the sender, or what?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Regards

Thanks

Re: What does this do? ((n/a))

I haven't researched the meaning of CID. I know that in a message containing an embedded image, rather than a link, the source is a CID. (You can experiment by sending one to yourself.) The only reason to use an IFRAME in an e-mail (AFAIK) is to try to circumvent security, so this probably was not just a funny picture someone was sharing with you!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My thoughts entirely, and so it's gone - but not before I had received another two similar ones (in 24 hours).

Just think - if I hadn't read Woody and religously followed his advice about Outlook security issues, I could now be one PC short of a business solution. Sobering thought.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

CID is abbreviation for "Client ID" and used for locating remote scripts by IFRAME.