Lounger
    Thanks

EXCEL CRASH (Office 97)

Have a problem in Excel, does not happen everytime but has happened 4 times in past month. When in an excel spreadsheet i try to update some details and the cursor becomes a white cursor with a sheet of paper behind it, and i cannot click or highlight any cells, and if i try and go to the menu at top of page then a grey circle with a line through it stops me from opening and of the menu bars. Therefore only way of closing down is to press ctrl+alt+del. And end task, does not happen everytime spreadsheets are accessed just random times.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: EXCEL CRASH (Office 97)

Is this problem restricted to one workbook?

If so, it probably is corrupted and needs polishing.
    Best not to wait until the workbook refuses to open...

The foolproof way is to recreate it from scratch.

Other methods may include saving each sheet to the oldest format XL allows (single sheet formats like WK1), unless of course it contains cross-sheet references. You could start off trying HTML format or SYLK.
    If there are no formula's involved, you could export it to some text format and after that import it again.

It all depends on what the workbook contains what you could do best to get rid of the corruption *and* retain as much of the original setup as possible.

Simple copying and pasting into a new workbook will most likely copy the corruption with it.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Lounger
    Thanks

No its in about 4 other worksheets its happened, it happens randomly and when it happens nothing else can be done. Apart from shutting the system down. I have checked the files and there are not viruses on the system

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

The cursors you report are similar to what happens if you move a sheet, i.e. hold the mouse button down when the cursor is on a worksheet tab name and you move the mouse with the button-down still selected . The cursor changes to include a 'page' and if you move it to the top panel you see the circle with the diagonal bar.
    Excel is waiting to find where you want to move the sheet.
    Is this anything to do with what you are doing?

zeddy

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have a Wheel Mouse with a wheel that can be clicked, or a mouse with a center button? If so, next time this happens, try clicking the wheel or the center button.
    Legare Coleman