New Lounger
    Thanks

Spellcheck (Word 2000, SR1)

I work in a mid-size law firm and have had users complain over the past year or so that Word will stop spellchecking their documents. To be specific, the "red wavy line" does not appear. I check Tools-Options - Spelling and the "check spelling while you type" option is enabled.

This seems to happen in new, copied, revised documents.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Is it a bug within Word? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spellcheck (Word 2000, SR1)

The same thing has happened at my office, too. I think this is what we did the fix the problem:

In the document, go to Tools-Language-Set Language. Make sure English is selected and clear the box next to Do not check Spelling or grammar. The box is usually grey, indicating that part of the text is set to not be checked and part is to be checked.

I don't know how to fix this problem permanently...we just have the user change the setting whenever she notices the problem.

I hope this helps!
    Becky

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes this just happened in my Word 2000 on a Win2k system. I checked the Set Language dialog and set US English as the default. What that did was turn on the wavy-red-line-under suspect terms feature. However, spell check still does not work.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is also possible that a copied or revised document was spellchecked previously and the "misspelled" words were corrected or Word was told to ignore them. Once these words are flagged by Word, they will not be rechecked and will not show on screen with a wavy red line. In this case, you need to have Word reset the flag--first run Spellcheck, then under Tools, Options, Spelling & Grammar click on "Recheck Document". Word will pop up a box say that it will unmark previously ignored words (answer "Yes"), and they will then appear again in the document with a wavy red line under them.

I don't know what would cause this with a new file unless your template specifically tells Word to ignore grammar and spelling errors via the Language, Set Language route. I'd suggest you check this out by opening up your standard template and looking at this.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Normal.dot checks out ok. My search, replace, and Go to in the Edit menu are also not working.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi todara:
    Are you doing this in a protected documents? You can't spellcheck a protected document unless you use a special macro (see <post#=140563>post 140563</post#>.

Otherwise, start Word from the command line: Start/Run & type
    winword.exe /a
    <enter>

Then open your document. If this corrects the problem, it's either a corrupt normal.dot or an add-in. It's possible that you have a corrupt Data key, but we'll cross that bridge if the other steps are negative.
    Cheers,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil
    Many thanks for responding. I tried your suggestion with no resulting change in the situation. Here are the facts:
    1) On a WinNT/Office 2000 machine the document (on a network share) behaves as expected--Find/Replace/Go To/Spell Check all work.
    2) I copy my normal.dot template to a Win2k/Office 2000 machine.
    3) I know the copied-over normal.dot is in place because of the font/font color/margins.
    4) I access the remote document from the Win2k machine and none of those features (spell check, etc) work, regardless of how I launch winword. These features don't work on any saved or new document.
    5) As long as I do NOT have Word selected as the email tool in Outlook, Outlook will spell check but as soon as I select Word, Outlook will no longer spell check.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi todora:
    Hmmm. I don't use Outlook as my email client & so I'm not familiar with it. I seem to recall that Woody had one or more articles about this in WOW, but I can't recall which issue. Is the problem only in Outlook or does Word refuse to spell check its own documents?

If it's Outlook, you could check Woody's archives (the link is at the bottom of each page) or post the question in the Outlook forum. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is basically a Word problem. I only mentioned Outlook because, if I use Word as the default word processor for Outlook, spellcheck does not work there either only because it is still essentially not working in Word. So the bottom line is that Word on this system is not allowing Spellcheck or Find to work on any Word document.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Todora:

I can think of a couple of things to check. First, do you have other Office applications where spell check does work? If not, then possibly the dictionary is missing or not in the correct folder. I do not have NT, but in Win98 the file

Mssp3en.lex

and is found in

WINDOWSApplication DataMicrosoftProof

However, it's puzzling that Find is not working either. And you say that you've tried starting Word at the command line and that didn't help. That would rule out normal.dot or add-ins. You might try running the repair on Word from the Help menu. Other than that, I'm stumped right now.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Both Find and Spellcheck work fine in Excel. I am going to run Office repair