5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hard Drive I/O speed (Win98)

Hi all,

Computer One
    HP 6635, 533 Celeron, 320 megs ram, newer (about 1 year old) 10.2gig hard drive

Computer Two
    Newly built, Soyo motherboard, AMD1gig (slightly overclocked), 96 megs ram, old 2.1 gig hardrive (about 3 years).

Question One
    Identical file, (Excel 2000, automatically saving changes and creating identical text file upon workbook exit), computer two takes about twice as long to close the file.

Question Two
    Am I right in suspecting that the older hard drive in computer two has a slower I/O speed resulting in a longer time to close the file? If not, what should I look at? Could it be the amount of RAM?

Question Three
    If so, what is the best way to copy the identical contents of the 2.1 gig hard drive on computer two to a newer, faster, larger hard drive without reinstalling all of my programs (which I just got installed and running hot-Win98, Office2K, Modem drivers, FTP software, Timeclock management software)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hard Drive I/O speed (Win98)

You have probably answered your own question, but to be sure, you should let us know what OS is on each PC. 320 MB of RAM will make a big difference especially if the excel file is large.

As for question 3, you can image the disk. Norton makes Ghost to do the job, but I prefer PowerQuest's Drive Image Pro. If you have a CD burner you can also use this for fool-proof backups.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Old H/D may not support UDMA at any speed for faster access, but make sure that you are using an 80-core UDMA IDE cable, as if the m/board and H/D support UDMA, it won't work with a standard 40-core cable. Even at equivalent UDMA speeds though, the older drive is likely to have slower access times.

Can you network the two PC's together? If so, use MWBackup to backup the 2.1GB drive to the larger drive, then restore to the new drive. Could save buying drive imaging software (though it's a useful thing to have, if budget will allow).
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Both are running Win98

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did have a 40-core cable, changed it to an 80 and still not much, if any improvement. The hard drive came out of an old Emachines333, so I will probably change out the drive. Can network them and use my HP to backup the drive.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sparky, one other question. Am backing up the soon-to-be-replaced drive as I type. Am I correct in thinking that I will have to at least install W98 on the new drive in order to backup from the LAN? Would seem impossible that I could restore the backup to a drive with no OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The restoration needing an OS would depend on your backup method. If you create an image of your hard drive on the network, you may be able to restore the image to a blank hard drive using the backup software's utilities.

Better, IMHO, to go for a clean installation of the operating system (never a bad idea with Windows) and restore what you need from the backup. I never back up the entire drive - sometimes only documents and data, other times the Windows installation directory.

(ahem) an aside, also - In Windows 2000/XP, you can also back up the System State which can be particularly powerful.
    -Mark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Do both systems exactly the same version of the same Virus protection with exactly the same settings? There are lots of things like this that could cause this symptom.
    Legare Coleman

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually Legare, the faster system (the HP 533) has CommandCentral's Vexira Antivirus, ZoneAlarm, External CDWriter, and other things. The new, slow system has absolutely nothing running at all except the system tray, and the other basics. I bought a new hard drive today, I think since the old one was so old, I might as well upgrade the hard drive also and see if the improvement in seek time makes any difference.

Thanks,