2 Star Lounger
    Lanyon, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

CD WRITER SOFTWARE

Hi folks. I have a diamond data 40x16x10 cdrw which I am happy with. The Nero software (5.5) that came with it ain't so flash. Any suggestions on a good cd writing/copying proggy for download?
    Thanks!
    Willow
    Australia

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CD WRITER SOFTWARE

Not sure what you mean by "ain't so flash" - but I presume that you are referring to how easy it is to work with. Granted Nero's user interface is a bit clunky but I have found myself leaning on it since it's utterly reliable.

The other Big Deal in CD burning software is EZ CD Creator 5, from Roxio. The UI is much better than Nero's but I've had it spit out a few coasters. Previous versions used to have a lot of trouble converting MP3 files into CD audio, and I've never been inclined to try using EZCD for that again.

A quick burning propgram that I use from time to time is Fireburner - a cheap download, and flexible - but if you don't like Nero's UI, this is a step down even from that!
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark,

Just wondering if you have any experience running Nero on Win2000. I have a new PC which came with it loaded.

My problem is the only way I was able to burn a CD is to make the user an administrator. (This was the solution posted on the Nero web site.) It works fine, but I have a couple of users who just have to fiddle with a PCs settings. Giving them admin rights is fraught with the obvious.

Thanks,
    Granville

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I have used Nero (in fact still do) on Windows 2000. I've never tried it with less than Administrator level privileges, so I can't speak to that, but it is my preferred software for CD creation. I have had numerous little quirks with EZCD that don't happen with Nero.

Is it possible to give the users full control of the Nero program folder and temporary directories to get around the problem of rights? I agree that giving tinkering users the ability to tinker can be outright dangerous.

It's worth checking into what Nero needs access to in order to successfully create a CD. I don't like blanket statements from vendors like the one you noted; it seems like the "easy way out" as opposed to truly solving a problem.
    -Mark