New Lounger
    Thanks

Duplicate Messages in Outlook 2002 (2002)

I am using a trial version of Office XP and have been having problems with duplicate messages in Outlook 2002.
    I access my email from two computers - a notebook and a desktop pc. I have Outlook setup on the notebook to leave a copy of messages on the server so the message will be available when I check my email on the desktop pc.
    When I used Outlook 2000 it was fine, the messages would only download once on the notebook computer. Using Outlook 2002 a new copy gets downloaded each time it checks for new mail. This doesn't stop until I have checked my mail from the desktop pc.
    Has anybody else experienced this?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Duplicate Messages in Outlook 2002 (2002)

<hr>Has anybody else experienced this? <hr>
    Yes, but i don't know of any fix that works.

do both computers use the same method of access? or is one using broadband from work and the other dialup from home?

Thanks

I'm glad this came up, because we had a rash of users report that their Outlook client re-downloaded their entire mailbox (which in the case of some users, covered 30 days!) from our POP3 server. It does seem to have been XP users. (Frankly, I don't understand how the server tracks which clients have downloaded the mail; it's a minor miracle to me that this type of thing doesn't happen more often.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

the older versions use a file on the hard drive, *rhc is the extension, i think. OL2002 uses a hidden message in the mailbox root (pst or exchange mailbox, not the isp server's mailbox) to track it.

apparently there is either a problem with the file getting marked or with outlook sending the proper commands to the server, but microsoft isn't talking, or at least our rep isn't.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The desktop pc has broadband internet (via a cable modem), which is shared with the notebook using Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing. The desktop pc is using Outlook 2000 and the notebook uses Outlook 2002.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

that elimates timeout issues due to connection speed, which is one of our suspected causes.

you aren't sharing the psts or doing something to sync them are you? something that would give ol2000 the chance to delete the hidden message that ol2002 uses to track it? We discovered one user was sharing a pst with OL2000 and the file was deleted every time OL2000 accessed the pst.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sharing the folders, the computers just access the same POP3 accounts. I don't really need to keep them synchronised so that is enough for me.