New Lounger
    Thanks

user options in file locations (word 97)

Can anyoe tell me what "user options" in "file locations" is for. Logically I thought it might be where word stores mormal.dot, but all documentation seems to say that normal.dot is stored in "user templates" or "workgroup templates".

Thanks

Re: user options in file locations (word 97)

I think the name of this article says it all: WD97: "User Options" File Location Path Has No Function (Q191938)

New Lounger
    Thanks

yeah that makes it pretty useless doesn't it!

can you point me to the documentation about where normal.dot is stored in a network suituation? My concern is that if every user on the lan has their "workgroup templates" pointing to the same place, there will be conflicts between different users' normal.dot s

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This is the way Microsoft describes it:

"The User Templates setting is typically used to indicate a location for templates that you may want to customize. Generally, the Normal.dot file is stored in this location so that users can save changes (such as a default font, custom styles, and so on) to their work environments.

The Workgroup Templates setting is typically used to indicate a location for templates that are shared with other users. Because multiple users will be using the same templates in this situation, either no users will be able to save changes to the templates (if they are marked as read only), or only the first user will be able to save changes to the template (the first user gets full control or the template and the other users get read only access)."

So the User Templates folder should be unique for each user. By default it's local (C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeTemplates), but it might also be on the network. Normal.dot is stored here, so each user can have his/her own version.