Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

index.dat (IE 6.0.26)

Hello all - I am unable to connect to any "HP" sites. I get a network error- "Unable to request URL from host www.hp.com:80 tried all of the host's addresses: 1.-->10". All the addresses say "Operation timed out". I suspect this is similar to a previous posting that suggested deleting the index.dat folder, but I would like someone to confirm or deny this. I did try to delete this folder, but was informed that I could not do that! Any thoughts? (Win98SE)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: index.dat (IE 6.0.26)

I am not sure this is an index.dat problem. You can only delete index.dat in DOS, so you could reboot to DOS and then delete it. There are many other methods.

I would think this might just be a problem at their end or a problem with the route. I just tried and I connected to www.hp.com with no problem. You might want to try again.

Addtionally, sometimes I see similar problems when the DNS server screws up, so you might try reaching the site by entering 192.6.118.97 in the address bar.

The HP site does not respond to pings, but you could try to run a tracert to the site. Be forewarned, since they do not respond to pings, you will see a long list of Time Outs. My tracert to their site stops giving useful information right here:

10 72 ms 63 ms 69 ms msfc-03.tpf.qwest.net [63.146.176.42]
    11 64 ms 66 ms 65 ms 63.146.178.244
    12 * * * Request timed out.
    13 * * * Request timed out.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry-more details-I have not been able to connect w/ the HP site for some time. Using 192.6.118.97 didn't help any, "Operation timed out" again. Tried tracert, "* * * Request timed out" - 15 times. any more thoughts?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You may be having a Cookie problem, make sure that you can accept a cookie at HP and you need to delete all HP cookies that you have now. One may be stopping you from entering

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

What is last IP address before the Time outs begin? It is the same as mine?
    "Operation Timed Out" seems to imply you simply cannot reach the site. It does not appear to be a DNS issue if the number did not help. I am left with a routing error (?) Can you post the tracert results?

New Lounger
    Thanks

DaveA-OS is win98se. No HP cookies that I can find on my machine. Set to accept cookies from HP, still strictly N/G. This is the only problem I'm having with IE6/win98se.
    rmrucker-All I got with tracert is "* * * Operation timed out" no other IP addresses.
    Regards

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You did not even get a response from your gateway?? Would not that imply that your gateway is somehow blocking those IP addresses?

Perhaps your provider has limted access to a block of addresses that includes HP. I looks like HP owns a fair number of the addresses right around that number. Are their neighbors that are on the same Internet connection as you? Can they access HP?

I don't see that the main site (www.hp.com) is actually setting cookies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

rmrucker-I just hooked my wife's laptop up, went to HP without a problem. (Duh, I forgot about that) Based on that I think we can narrow the problem down to my computer.

DaveA-Is there somewhere else to look for cookies? Other then C/Windows/Temporary Internet Files? Sorry for sounding dumb here, but I've not had to do much of this stuff.

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

DaveA-I can accept a cookie from HP, and I think I have deleted all HP cookies. Is there somewhere else to look for cookies? Other then C/Windows/Temporary Internet Files? Sorry for sounding dumb here, but I've not had to do much of this stuff.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

That site is NOT placing cookies -- that is the point of my image above. You do NOT need to have cookies active to visit www.hp.com.

The Cookies are actually kept in C:WindowsCookies by default. You only see "pointers" or "ghosts" of cookies in the Temporary Internet Files.

But it is a moot point -- there are NO cookies involved here!

If your computer cannot reach the site -- even with using the numerical IP address -- then something is weird. Plus you have stated you get NOTHING back from a tracert?? Also weird. That implies your computer has a block on that IP address -- possible, but it would have involved editing the routing tables -- and that does not usually happen randomly...

Are you sure you cannot reach the site using the numbers?
    Are you sure you get NO packets back on a tracert? (This is very weird and implies a complete block of packets addressed to that address).

New Lounger
    Thanks

I just ran tracert again, both on the numbers and on the name, 30 "Operation timed out" on each try
    Egads

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by jscher2000 on 25-Apr-02 23:43.</P>Run a search on your computer for all files named hosts and edit, rename or delete them. Hosts files can store out-of-date IP addresses for host names (such as www.hp.com).

The part about how your browser checked 10 different addresses is really weird; I have never seen anything like it...do you have some kind of add-ins running that are supposed to speed up browsing? If so, maybe they have the wrong addresses stored.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

It cannot be a Hosts file problem if the numbers do not work -- that is why I compulsively stressed using the numbers.

A Hosts file takes a Name and locally resolves it to a Number. If you enter the number in the address bar directly, you are bypassing the Hosts file and the DNS server.

For Name-to-Address resolution, your computer uses locally cached data first, then it uses the Hosts file, and lastly it contacts your DNS server. I don't think the problem lies in Address resolution if the Numbers don't work either.

But, if he is unable to get a single packet out using tracert to the numerical IP address, then something weirder than this is happening. It is possible to modify route tables on a given computer -- so that even the numbers go to different destinations -- but I would find that exceedingly intriguing as to why this occurred on his PC...

I will have to look into this further. Very strange.

If we can eliminate some variables, perhaps we can get an answer. Have you tried to boot your computer into DOS and then run the tracert? [I think this is unlikely to be the answer, but it will eliminate the Windows OS and other programs as the possible causes.]

Also, can you give us some images to look at? Can I see the exact image you see when you try to connect to www.hp.com? Also, can I see the exact tracert wording? (That can be copied and pasted).

Lastly, how is this computer connected to the Internet? Is this Dial-up, Cable, DSL, DSL with PPPoE, Satellite? Is this computer on a router or hub? Is there any Internet Connection Sharing or VPN set up?

Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I found "Hosts.sam, hosts, & Lmhosts.sam" When I renamed them I got the "Cannot Find Server" page, I think because I'm running "Adsubtract". I restored them, and edited them. no referance to hp in any of them.
    I don't think I have any browser speed-ups running, What would I look for, and where would look?
    This is gettin' old isn't it.
    Regards

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried to boot into DOS and run tracert, but was told "cannot run this program in DOS". I tried to copy tracert info , but I don't know how. See attachment for "Cannot Find Server" page. This is a dial-up connection, nothing fancy, no router or hub, no connection sharing, and I don't know what a VPN set up is. I appreciate your time and attention

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast