New Lounger
    Thanks

Linked Spreadsheet Permissions (Access2002&2000)

Hi everyone, I'm new to Woody's and hope someone can help! Having implemented Access security across our dbs, based on group permissions, we have hit an issue where a user of a group with full permissions on new tables cannot actually link Excel spreadsheets into the db. He is told he does not have Modify Design permission for the table! I cannot find any info on Microsoft to so with permissions affecting linked spreadsheets. Although I do the development in Access2002, most of my users are on 2000. Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated as I don't want to have to use a separate unsecured db.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linked Spreadsheet Permissions (Access2002&2000)

We fixed it ourselves! In case you were wondering - the snag is that if you run a database through the Security Wizard in AccessXP, it causes problems for users with Access2000! Resolution was to copy the source database(s), copy the workgroup file, then run each db through the security wizard in 2000 using the new workgroup file. You have to reset the permissions on the objects in the process. Then implement your revised dbs and workgroup file, and hey presto - permissions work as set. Using the workgroup file and dbs from XP is fine. You learn something every day!