Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Style Creation (97+)

StuartR's response on another thread on this board ("Fields and Formatting") made me think of a feature I'd like to have in Word for defining Styles. In that thread, it seemed like a lot of work was going to be needed to create some new Style definitions to solve the originator's problem.

I know that a new style can be defined based on an existing style and then changed. Of course, if the original style changes, this could affect the new style that was based on the original.

What I'd like is an interface for defining styles somewhat like the Organizer. So this would probably be some kind of user form. On the left would be a menu of styles (either from a doc or from a template) where I choose one (and I can come back and choose another). Once having made a choice, I see a list of elements associated with the style. This could be in a window arranged like a folder file for grouping style characteristics or just an alphabetical list. Of course, if I click on a ? in the upper right of the dialog and then click on a line in the style characteristic window, I would get a little box that tells me a little more about what that style item does.

On the right of the dialog would be a window for creating my new style. I would be able to give it a name; I guess it would be assumed the style would be part of the current doc/dot that I'm working in.

In between the 2 windows would be a "move" or "add" button that would allow me to move an item from the left to the right (but not the other way around). I would also be able to delete an element from the right side but not the left.

I would be able to click on an item in the right window to be able to change it. For example, clicking on the Space After Paragraph would bring up the spinner for changing this value.

I just hate the current interface for defining styles. Something like the above would seem easier to use.

Anyone know of anything like this?

Fred

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Style Creation (97+)

Fred,

Although I haven't worked with it, I believe that DocXStyles by Microsystems provides an alternative to Word's built-in interface for working with styles.

Gary

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Style Creation (97+)

Gary,

thks for the tip. I looked at the microsystems web site and the page on DocXStyles. This suggests that it provides features for applying styles to various parts of the document, including numbering. However, I didn't see anything to suggest that it supported the kind of style creation capabilities that I had described.

Of course, I could download a trial version and see exactly what it does. But not right now.

Thanks again.

Fred