New Lounger
    Thanks

Behavior in Contacts Views

This is a question that's hard to put into words but one that has bedeviled me for weeks.

I have Outlook 2000 set up on two machines, one at work, one at home. A couple of years ago I set up the "view" I prefer on both machines ... I'm pretty sure it was based on a tip I saw in the WOPR lounge or in one of Woody's books ... it lists the contacts each one one line alphabetically under their "FileAs" name, with their phone numbers, etc., on the same line. This "view" is not hard to set up, but on my computer at home when I type a single letter while in this view the first contact whose name begins with that letter is immediately highlighted. I recently had to reinstall Outlook on my computer at work and now no such action happens, I have to scroll down to the desired contact. I have looked through the menus -- too much now, I guess -- and can't find a way to enable this kind of "jump to the first contact in the list whose name starts with this letter" feature.

I hope you can follow what I'm talking about here. Anybody got any ideas on how to get this feature working again on my office computer?

Paul

jimmelcher

Re: Behavior in Contacts Views

I am having this same problem.... I can 'type to search' in my 'Address Cards' view, but not in any of the list views, such as 'Phone List' or 'By Company'. My preferred viw is Phone List, and I much prefer to type to search.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Behavior in Contacts Views

I found the answer to this in the KB - Q197421. In Phone List view, under "Customize Current View," click other settings and then in the Rows section deselect the "Allow In-cell Editing" check box.

Not exactly an intuitive step.