Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel 97 Macro in 2000 (Excel 97)

We are in the process of upgrading our computers from Windows 95 / Office 97 to Windows 2000 / Office 2000. Some of the machines that were updated today are used to access and modify an Excel 97 spreadsheet that contains several macros. I just found out that these macros are not showing up on the machines that have been upgraded. Is there something special that I need to do for the people using Office 2000 that will allow them to see and use the macros attached to the spreadsheets? Also, are there any issues with the upgrade as far as vlookups to external spreadsheets are used?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel 97 Macro in 2000 (Excel 97)

I have found no problems doing this. The vba macros are forward compatible. My macros are saved with the workbooks so they appear when the workbook is opened. Are you expecting them to be there without opening the workbook?
    I seem to recall some issue with vlookups that I think went away when we added the add ins for the Analysis Toolpak. I haven't tried vlookups for an external spreadsheet though, only sheets within the same workbook, so I can't comment on that.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No. They have opened the matrix and the macros are not there. Someone said something about a switch in Tools - Macros - Security, but I can't find anything like that in Macros. Do you have any idea what they were talking about?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting. Try Tools, Options then click the Security tab, and then click the "Macro Security..." button at the bottom right. A pop-up will show the current level of security. If it is set to High, that might be the cause but I'm guessing here!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

There are several possibilities here:

1- Macro Security. If it is set to High, then any unsigned macros will be automatically disabled. You can go to Macro on the Tool menu, then click on the Security command in the sub menu to see how it is set.

2- The macros are not kept in the workbook itself, but are in an Addin or a Personal Macro workbook. If this is the case, the Addin or Personal Macro book will have to be installed on the upgraded system.

3- The macros are kept in a separage workbook that is automatically opened by the data workbook, but that workbook can no longer be found.

What do you mean by "these macros are not showing up ..."? Does that mean that they are not on the macro menu, or does that mean that you have looked in the workbook modules and the macros are missing?
    Legare Coleman

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The macros were assigned to that specific spreadsheet. This is a workbook that has been used every day for over a year by many different people. Those people that are still using Excel 97 are not having a problem with the spreadsheet or the macros assigned to the spreadsheet.

What I mean by not showing up is that the macros are not listed in the Tools - Macro screen. It's like they were filtered out of the spreadsheet when it was opened.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

What do you mean by "assigned to that specific spreadsheet?" If you open the workbook in XL97 and go to the VB Editor, do you see the macros in a module that is in the workbook? If you do the same thing in XL2K what do you see?
    Legare Coleman

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I wanted to let you know that I went in and changed the Security setting from High to Medium and that took care of the problem. The next time we opened the spreadsheet, the Disable/Enable Macro screen appeared. When we said to Enable the macros were once again there and available for use.

In regards to what I meant by "assigned to that specific spreadsheet" is that when I created and saved the macros, I saved them in "This Workbook" as opposed to "Personal.xls". This spreadsheet is one that is used by several different people using several different computers over the course of any given day.

Thanks to everyone for the help. You have once again come through for me.