3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hyperlinks not working (Word 2000 SR2)

I have a friend whose Word 2000 no longer handles hyperlinks to internet web sites. They are not sure exactly why this has happened. When they click a hyperlink in Word, they get the message "unable to open ... cannot open the specified file"

I spent a few hours trying to fix the problem, including a re-install of Office 2000. Strangely, the uninstall of Office 2000 (prior to re-install) did not really uninstall. After doing the re-install, all of their customizations of the Word toolbar and macros were still intact.

We also ran Norton Systemworks' WinDoctor, but it did not find anything to fix. My suspicion is that they installed a program that overwrote a critical system DLL. But how would we know which DLL has been sabotaged?

They are running Windows ME. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear from you.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Thanks

Re: Hyperlinks not working (Word 2000 SR2)

Do the links work if you open the document on a different computer? If these are links to documents, they can be very sensitive to being moved from one folder to another. Did you verify that the links are valid (they point to the document)? You should be able to check using the hyperlinks dialog.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually the hyperlinks that don't work are those that link to various sites on the internet. Word still correctly handles hyperlinks that link to other Word documents on the local computer.
    Rick Groszkiewicz

Thanks

Two other questions:

(1) Do the links work if you open the document on a different computer?

(2) Do new links to sites on the Internet work, or do even newly inserted links not work?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

(1) I am pretty sure we checked that the hyperlinks work if the document is opened on another computer

(2) NO internet hyperlinks work - even new ones. We tried having Netscape or Internet Explorer loaded, but clicking on the hyperlink generated the error message described earlier.
    Rick Groszkiewicz

Thanks

If you arrow into the hyperlink and press Shift+F9, does the field have any additional switches or information other than the word HYPERLINK followed by the URL in quotation marks?

Example: { HYPERLINK "http://www.hp.com/" }

I'm wondering whether there might be some special reason it is saying it cannot open the file...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I remember, the hyperlinks look the way you show them. When you click on a hyperlink in Word, you can tell that something is happening in the background. The hyperlink does not load, but the "new mail" sound goes off each time. In fact, there is no new mail - so this is an indication of some program that is not operating correctly.
    Rick Groszkiewicz