2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

build a query from a form (Access97)

I would like to build a query or SQL statement from the input a user selects on a form. The query will draw data from one of 12 possible tables based on the users selection. The form has a combo box that offers the user 12 choices. How do I use the AfterUpdate event to store the value of the selection somewhere to be used in a query or SQL statement?

Thanks,
    aap2

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: build a query from a form (Access97)

Which AfterUpdate event were you thinking of? Each control has one and so does the form itself. You don't have to store the value anywhere if the code to build the SQL is in the form where they make the selection. All you have to do is refer to the value in the control. If you want to store the value and use it later (leaving aside why for the moment) you would probably want to store it in a table that you use for this specific purpose.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Below is a more detailed description of what I am attempting.

The form has a combo box (cboSelectTable) where the user selects an item. The AfterUpdate event of the combo box is what I wish to use. The value of the item selected will determine which table will be searched in the query. The combo box RowSource Type is "Table/Query" and the
    SELECT DISTINCTROW tblClientLookUpTablesIndex.TableName, Row Source looks like this
    tblClientLookUpTablesIndex.TableDescription FROM tblClientLookUpTablesIndex;
    the TableDescription field contains valid table names.

cboSelectTable_AfterUpdate()
    'create variable to hold the valid table name
    dim mstrLUTable as string
    Here is the part I am wondering about. How do I make this assignment so that the variable
    "mstrLUTable" holds a valid table name such as "tblLU0301". And, can you use a variable name in a SQL statement?

'assign the value of the users selection to the variable name
    ????mstrLUTable = cboSelectTable.value or something like this????

Then the varialbe mstrLUTable is filled into this SQL Statement.

SELECT mstrLUTable.Group, mstrLUTable.CBO, mstrLUTable.DIVISION, [LU Program Info].[SERVICE LINE], mstrLUTable.[HOSPITAL ID], mstrLUTable.[HOSPITAL NAME], [LU Program Info].[PLACEMENT NO], [LU Program Info].[PLACEMENT DATE], [LU Program Info].STATE, Stats.[Client No], Stats.[Client Name], Sum(Stats.[MTD # Listed]) AS [SumOfMTD # Listed], Sum(Stats.[MTD $ Listed]) AS [SumOfMTD $ Listed], Sum(Stats.[MTD $ Collected]) AS [SumOfMTD $ Collected], Sum(Stats.[MTD $ Fees]) AS [SumOfMTD $ Fees], Sum(Stats.[YTD $ Listed]) AS [SumOfYTD $ Listed], Sum(Stats.[YTD $ Collected]) AS [SumOfYTD $ Collected], Sum(Stats.[YTD $ Fees]) AS [SumOfYTD $ Fees], Avg(Stats.Age) AS AvgOfAge, Stats.Date
    FROM (mstrLUTable LEFT JOIN Stats ON mstrLUTable.[CLIENT NO] = Stats.[Client No]) LEFT JOIN [LU Program Info] ON mstrLUTable.[CLIENT NO] = [LU Program Info].[CLIENT NO]
    GROUP BY mstrLUTable.Group, mstrLUTable.CBO, mstrLUTable.DIVISION, [LU Program Info].[SERVICE LINE], mstrLUTable.[HOSPITAL ID], mstrLUTable.[HOSPITAL NAME], [LU Program Info].[PLACEMENT NO], [LU Program Info].[PLACEMENT DATE], [LU Program Info].STATE, Stats.[Client No], Stats.[Client Name], Stats.Date
    ORDER BY [LU Program Info].[SERVICE LINE];

Once the SQL statement is built, based on the user selection, I want to use that statement in the On Click event of a command button.

Private Sub cmdRunSearch_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_cmdRunSearch_Click

Dim stSQLstatement As String

stSQLStatement = the sql statement above

Run the search

End Sub

Many thanks,
    aap2

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

When you say you want to "Run the Search", what do you mean? How do you want to run the search, via a DoCmd.RunSql (which would not achieve much) or maybe an OpenRecordset in conjuction with other code.

If the latter, then define the "Dim stSQLStatement as String" immediately after the Option Explicit (if you don't have Option Explicit you are asking for trouble). Then in the cboSelectTable_AfterUpdate event do the following:

stSQLStatement = "SELECT mstrLUTable.Group, mstrLUTable.CBO, mstrLUTable.DIVISION, [LU Program Info].[SERVICE LINE], mstrLUTable.[HOSPITAL ID], mstrLUTable.[HOSPITAL NAME], [LU Program Info].[PLACEMENT NO], [LU Program Info].[PLACEMENT DATE], [LU Program Info].STATE, Stats.[Client No], Stats.[Client Name], Sum(Stats.[MTD # Listed]) AS [SumOfMTD # Listed], Sum(Stats.[MTD $ Listed]) AS [SumOfMTD $ Listed], Sum(Stats.[MTD $ Collected]) AS [SumOfMTD $ Collected], Sum(Stats.[MTD $ Fees]) AS [SumOfMTD $ Fees], Sum(Stats.[YTD $ Listed]) AS [SumOfYTD $ Listed], Sum(Stats.[YTD $ Collected]) AS [SumOfYTD $ Collected], Sum(Stats.[YTD $ Fees]) AS [SumOfYTD $ Fees], Avg(Stats.Age) AS AvgOfAge, Stats.Date
    FROM (" _
    & mstrLUTable & _
    " LEFT JOIN Stats ON mstrLUTable.[CLIENT NO] = Stats.[Client No]) LEFT JOIN [LU Program Info] ON mstrLUTable.[CLIENT NO] = [LU Program Info].[CLIENT NO]
    GROUP BY mstrLUTable.Group, mstrLUTable.CBO, mstrLUTable.DIVISION, [LU Program Info].[SERVICE LINE], mstrLUTable.[HOSPITAL ID], mstrLUTable.[HOSPITAL NAME], [LU Program Info].[PLACEMENT NO], [LU Program Info].[PLACEMENT DATE], [LU Program Info].STATE, Stats.[Client No], Stats.[Client Name], Stats.Date
    ORDER BY [LU Program Info].[SERVICE LINE];"

Don't forget your " _" (space, underscore) at the end of each line, I cannot get the formatting correct in this response. I would appreciate someone's help for this.

Then your cmdRunSearch_Click event could look like:

Private Sub cmdRunSearch_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_cmdRunSearch_Click

dim dbs as database, rs as recordset

set dbs=currentdb
    set rs=dbs.openrecordset(stSQLStatement)

'Run the search
    do while not rs.eof
    ... your loop code in here
    rs.movenext
    loop

End Sub

Hope this all helps,
    Pat

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pat,

Option Explicit is there and I will create a recordset. Thanks for your assistance. I'll let you know how it works out.
    aap2

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Where I have the line
    & mstrLUTable & _

I really meant
    & cboSelectTable & _

Pat