Star Lounger
    Thanks

Twist on IE5 - Word doc links

I read the 'IE5 - Word doc links' thread below which helped me to restore my IE behavior of opening Word documents inside IE (thanks!). I just upgraded from IE 4.01 to IE 5.01 (intranet) and I lost this behavior so that Word and Excel documents were opening in new windows in their native apps. So I have restored opening Word docs inside IE, but still I have lost the ability to navigate around inside the Word document with its internal hyperlinks using the Back and Forward buttons in IE5 (which I could do in IE4). With IE4, once the Word document was opened, I could bop all around in the document using the internal hyperlinks and the browser Back and Forward buttons. Now when I use the browser Back button it takes me out of the Word document and back to the HTML page that has the link to the Word document. If I click the Forward button in the browser it returns me to the Word page I was in before I hit the Back button (endless loop!). How can I make the Back and Forward buttons in IE5 recognize the hyperlinks inside a Word document? Thanks!

George
    george.earl@ssa.gov

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Twist on IE5 - Word doc links

I think the issue is that it is not running in the browser but in Word in the browser. Can you display the Web toolbar in Word in this situation and use that for navigation?
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Twist on IE5 - Word doc links

No, unfortunately the Word web toolbar does not come up inside Word inside IE. It appears the only solution is to have an internal link at the bottom of each Word page that takes me back to the TOC, so I really can't jump all around in the document. I have to go to TOC to page back to TOC to another page, etc. I did not expect this behavior.

George
    george.earl@ssa.gov