New Lounger
    Thanks

Program access control for XP? (XP - Pro)

Is there any thing i could do, or program that i could get, that would give me control of what applications can be used by the users on my computer. The problem is, we want to have a password set on Internet Explorer so that we know when the younger kids want to get on. As it is now, we use a dial-up connection, and that is password protected, but we would like to get a cable modem. Because that is constantly online, a child could access the internet without a parents knowledge. what can i do so that i can have a cable modem, but still limit who goes online? - marshall

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Program access control for XP? (XP - Pro)

it's me again. i did a little more research. i think that if i make Limited user accounts for the younger kids, i should be able to keep them from accessing a web browser. i still am not totally sure though. would i have to make the IE folder private on the admin account? can i even do that? i would appreciate any help on this matter.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If your account has Administrator rights, and your kids accounts are Users or Power Users, you can ban them from using Internet Explorer. Open Windows Explorer (or double-click My Computer icon), navigate to C:Program FilesInternet Explorer ( if C: is your boot partition), right-click IEXPLORE.EXE and from pop-up menu choose Properties, then Security tab. Remove Users (or Power Users) from the list. Make sure that your account has Administrator rights.

Note: other programs on your computer (for example, Microsoft Office Clipart Gallery) will still able to access Internet until you remove System from the IE Security list. If you remove it, those programs will be no longer able to connect even from your account.

Also: install firewall (most popular is ZoneAlarm). With it, you can block the access to specific sites.

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for the help. i have some questions though. I think that i can only designate users as Admin or Limited. I don't have Useres or Power Users. Also, there is no security tab on the IEXPLORER.EXE proporties. Are these options for xp - pro or xp - home. i think that it is home on this computer, not pro. i had been thinking about a firewall and i will get one. is Norton firewall any good?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

you're using home - it lacks a lot of features pro has.

i dont have a copy running right now, so i can't check what options it has available that might help.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I use Norton Personal Firewall and would definitely recommend it. The full Norton Internet Security package, which includes firewall, anti-virus and tools to control childrens' internet access would probably be ideal for what you want.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.