Lounger
    Thanks

Hard Drive Recognition (XP)

I have acquired a 20 GB WD 7200 (ATA/100) Hard Drive. Upon installation, my system will not recognize the drive. I have installed it as a Master and a Slave on the Primary and Secondary controllers, with and without other drives (Using the appropriate ATA/100 cable). Nothing seems to work, the system will NOT recognize that it is even hooked up. I did ensure all of the obvious solutions were checked: Power and Ribbon cables are connected properly, the jumper has been set as appropriate for it's loaded location, and the BIOS is showing "Auto" for drive identifications. Every other drive I have installed has been just fine, as well as CDROMs and CDRWs, however, this is the first ATA/100 device I have tried on this system as well as the first 7200 RPM drive. I am using an ABIT KT7 MB/700 Mhz Duron. Documentation states that it is ATA/66, and the hard drive data states it is compatible with ATA33/66/100 Main Boards. I have never updated my BIOS before, so not sure what to do on that front. I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanks!

DIV

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hard Drive Recognition (XP)

Is your cable "cable select"? Might try that.

Also you are on Win-XP, so do the following:
    Right click on 'My computer'.
    Left click on 'Manage'.
    Left click on 'Storage', then 'Disk Management' and look for the strange dude in there.
    If you see it, you can proceed to activate and format it, as you desire.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I suggesting asking this question in www.motherboards.org.

Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by WyllyWylly on 15-May-02 14:42.</P>Thanks Howard,

You were right in asking me to post this info in another forum, however, I didn't get an answer from http://www.motherboards.org, I ended up getting my answer from http://www.motherboards.com. Both have good forums though. Here is the answer to the mystery hard drive.

This is for people having trouble with their motherboards recognizing their hard drives:

I was having troubles with my Abit KT7 recognizing a brand new 20gig Western Digital hard drive that I installed in my system. After many hours of trying I began looking at several forums to see if there was a fix for this. I learned from the www.motherboards.com web site (Do a search for "ABIT KT7 Hard Drive") that some of the Western Digital hard drives were having trouble with the KT133 chipset. I learned that you could snip wire 1 (40 wire) of my IDE cable [or wires 1 and 2 of the 80 wire cable], so that it made no connection. I snipped the wires, put the drive back in and the system recognized the drive right away. Below are some specifics for anyone interested.

Western Digital 20GIG ATA100 7200 RPM
    Model number: WD200BB-75CLB0

Abit KT7 Motherboard w/the original bios

If you want to verify this information for your self you can contact Western Digital. They will actually send you a special IDE cable for your system, if you want to wait for the delivery instead of cutting the cable yourself.

I also have a CDROM hooked up to the same channel as the drive and it seems to be doing just fine, no hic-cups at all.

If you have any questions on this contact western digital or reply to this message.