Lounger
    Thanks

Setting up invoice (Access 2000)

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach this but nothing I've thought of so far seems like it will work quite "right."

I need to setup a system for the user to create an invoice where they select one or more "packages" but the individual components of the package(s) are posted to the invoice. For example, the user invoices a customer for an "oil change" so the invoice should list out "oil change", "oil filter" and "motor oil" on the invoice. The user needs to be able to change the quanities for some of the components (may use a variable number of qts of motor oil.)

If I didn't have to work with "packages" I'd just use a form/subform approach to add individual lines to an invoice. (Data stored in an INVOICE table and an INVOICE_LINE table.) But I'm not sure how to go about this with packages.

As far as storing the data I was planning on using the following table structure (table names in caps, field names in lower case, pk = primary key):
    INVOICE (invoice_number (pk), date, customer_name, etc)
    INVOICE_LINE (invoice_number (pk), line_number (pk), item_sold (references item_number from INVENTORY table), qty_sold, price, etc)
    PACKAGE (package_number (pk), description, etc)
    PKG_INV (package_number (pk), item_number (pk)) -- this is what determines what items are components of each package
    INVENTORY (item_number (pk), description, price, etc)

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've done a bit of work with VB and some VBA in Word but I've not tried VBA in Access -- tho I'm ready to learn if need be. TIA

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setting up invoice (Access 2000)

I think your problem is that you are thinking of a package as a data item, where in fact it

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You still need to think in terms of a form/subform, because that is how your data is related. A "package" is nothing more than a predetermined series of lines that will show up in the subform. For example, you might have a listbox on left side of your form which contains all your packages by title. Selecting a package from the listbox then populates the invoice subform, allowing user to make changes.

In addition to the tables you probably already have (Invoices and InvoiceLines), you also need these tables: Packages and PackageLines.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for the late reply. I took your suggestions and they did the job. Thanks for your help!