4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Conversion Problem (2002)

I am using a database to track the children in our Sunday School. I developed it in Access 97 and then converted it to 2002. Here's the problem.

I have a form/subform. On the main form is the family information and on the subform is the information for each student. It is tied together with a Family #. Since I have converted it, any new children that are added do not show up on the form, although they do show up in the student table after they have been added. I checked the subform and it still has the same parent and child connection (Family #).

Is there something in the conversion that would have caused this to cease working or do I need to look somewhere else? Thanks for any help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Conversion Problem (2002)

Is your field name actually [Family#]? If so, perhaps Access2002 is having trouble with the # sign.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for the reply.

The field name is actually Family # (includes the space). I forgot to include in the original post, the old information is still good, shows up on the screen and everything works fine. It's only new info that I can't get at. For instance, an entry for the Doe family, with little Johnny, still shows up but if I try to add Jane Doe, it won't show up on the screen, (or any of the reports, which is the real problem) however, when I do go back to the Student table, Jane Doe is now there, along with the correct Family #. Since this started after the conversion, I am assuming it is something that Access 2002 doesn't recognize, just not sure why the old info still shows up.

I am reluctant to change the Family #, since it shows up in so many places. If that's the only choice then I will have to do it. Any more ideas are welcomed. Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How does the family # get into the student table?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The only thing I can suggest is to redo the Linked Master/Child fields in your subform control. Make certain you bracket family # like this [family #].
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What exactly do you mean by "it shows up in so many places"? You do realize that you can assign a caption like "Family #" to a field without giving the field that name, right? Using spaces and characters in your field names will bite you sooner or later, most likely sooner, so they're something to avoid.
    Charlotte

Thanks

You said,
    <You do realize that you can assign a caption like "Family #" to a field without giving the field that name, right?>

Would you do this in the table setup and if so, where?
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Each field has a caption property. When I build a table, I assign a caption to each field where I *don't* want to use the field name as the display name.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte,

I'm always learning, so excuse me if I sound ignorant. What I meant by it showing up in so many places is that the field name, (in this case Family #, yes with the space and the character, I will heed what you said for the future but now I am dealing with the past) is in many queries, forms and reports. If I have to change it, I have to change it, I just didn't want to have to do it if it wouldn't fix the problem.

Now, as far as the part about using captions for field names, I understand what you are doing, I'm just not sure why. If I changed the field name, I would still have to go into each query, form, etc, to change the field name there also, wouldn't I? Thanks for your patience and help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I thought I read somewhere if you changed a fields name in a table it would automatically change that name in all forms, queries and reports etc.
    Or am I just dreaming?
    Pat

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Theoretically, Name AutoCorrect will do that. In practice, you don't want that turned on, since it is a resource hog, leads to bloat, and in Access 2000 was implicated in all sorts of weird problems that had nothing obvious to do with it. You're better off with a product like SpeedFerret, although I don't know if their OXP-compatible version is available yet. Find & Replace may work with AXP, but I wouldn't swear to it.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I wasn't talking about your current problem, I was making a suggestion for the future. *Don't* name fields with spaces and odd characters going forward. Use the caption property for stuff like that and save your sanity by using spaceless, alphanumeric field names. In this instance, you're going to have to use square brackets in all your SQL, code, queries, etc., whether you like it or not. The # character is used as a date delimiter in Access, as well as a data declaration character, so it is not safe to use it as part of a field name. Since you've already done so, you have to use the brackets to tell Access that you're very sorry but this really is a field name and not something else.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte,
    Thanks for all of the help. I really appreciate your patience and willingness to teach. And, I have so much to learn.

I will be taking your advice to heart, in the future. In the meantime, I went through my DB and changed Family # to FamilyID, I used StudentID for each student, don't know why I didn't do that in the first place. Unfortunately, that did not fix the problem. I did some more research and found out what it was.

In both the Family table and Student table, I had a Yes/No field called Active, with the default set to Yes. This worked in A97 but after the conversion, it confused A2002, so that when I added a new student, the information was going in but the names weren't showing up on the form, because the Active field for the student did not get set to Yes. Not sure why it worked for Family and not for Student??? On the form and subform, the two fields were called Family.Active and Student.Active, so they were different fields but were still causing a problem. I went back to the tables and changed them to FamActive and StudActive, then through all other places where those were present and everything works like it is supposed to. Not sure why it was a problem nor why it never told me there was a problem but I am glad it is fixed.

Again, thanks so much to you and everyone else who contributes to this forum. What a fantastic resource. I have posted my solution, just in case there is somebody else that is as confused as I am and needs the help. On to the next problem!