New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost O2K Premium Disk 1

I have just moved from California to Ohio ... (We love Ohio, btw) ... One of my hard drives didn't like the bouncing around and failed on me. I am in the midst of restoring and opened my Office 2K Premium upgrade CD's and realized I had disks 2,3, & 4 but no Disk 1. MS has informed me that I must provide proof of purchase in order to get another Disk 1 ... I bought this and registered it in early 2000. I don[t know how I will go about proving ownership. Any body got any suggestions?

I just downloaded Star Office. I haven't installed it yet but if MS wants to be so damn nit picky I am seriously considering Star Office. Feedback will be appreciated.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost O2K Premium Disk 1

Did you pay by check?
    Did you pay by credit card?

Do you have the store receipt?
    Do you have a shipping invoice?

New Lounger
    Thanks

It has been over 2 years. I paid by Credit Card, almost assuredly, but finding the corroborating receipt ... not a chance. To compound the problem I have just moved and everything is a mess.. I am the registered owner of record, but my address has changed since I purchased the software.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Call the credit card company, they might send you a copy of your statement or receipt.

Or, if you know, or can find out, the vendor, contact the vendor and see if you can get a copy of the invoice.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft use to accept the cover page of the manual. I don't know if the still do. Did you ask them what they would accept?
    Legare Coleman

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

They also used to accept a screen shot of the Help About showing the PID and registration info.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sometimes uncomfortabe, but: I've found that with EVERY software company, the great MS included, that being intractible on the phone (obstinately but politely so, that's the key), will eventually lead you to a higher and higher level of support until they will believe that you never will have held out to that point unless you were genuine, or not worth further discussion. I got 2 perfectly legitimate replacement keys that way. However - plan to spend the evening...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. My good luck holds, I found the Disk 1 ... Good thing too. I was not looking forward to having to beg my way through multiple phone conversations with MS. I guess I could have prevailed but it sure would have been a hassle. I wonder how many people could realistically come up with a proof of purchase after a couple of years?

In my case I had a couple of corporations formed and dissolved over that period of time, finding which company paid for the software in 1999 would have been like looking for a needle in a haystack. I will make sure to burn a couple of copies of my disk 1 ... and I am going to Ghost this new drive as soon as I get all my drivers and software reinstalled and working properly.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Howard,
    My good luck holds, I found the Disk 1 ... Good thing too. I was not looking forward to having to beg my way through multiple phone conversations with MS. I guess I could have prevailed but it sure would have been a hassle. I wonder how many people could realistically come up with a proof of purchase after a couple of years?

In my case I had a couple of corporations formed and dissolved over that period of time, finding which company paid for the software in 1999 would have been like looking for a needle in a haystack. I will make sure to burn a couple of copies of my disk 1 ... and I am going to Ghost this new drive as soon as I get all my drivers and software reinstalled and working properly.