Lounger
    Thanks

Use Act! (Symantec) & Outlook

Hello Everyone
    I am thinking of using ACT! (previously by Symantec now by Interact Commerce). I am interested in the comments of anyone who is using it as well as those who used it but decided against it. I would especially appreciate the comments of someone using Act! with a Palm Pilot.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

dearnold

Re: Use Act! (Symantec) & Outlook

I've used ACT for several years as my "Contacts" program - it has lots of fields/room for searchable Notes on each Contact and a lot of flexibility in printing reports. The flexibility, however, comes with a price. One has to scale a learning curve to modify/create the templates for the reports/envelopes etc if the provided ones don't meet your needs.
    I don't have the need for all of the "sales mgmt" advice/modules that the ownership by Interact Commerce provides.
    One thing I particularly like about ACT is the synchronize function -- it's very easy to keep files backed up and synchronized between notebook and desktop.....unlike Outlook, which I find difficult at best.
    I don't use the email ability -- had started using Outlook before ACT 2000 came out -- that's when they made email much easier to use through ACT.
    ACT is very powerful.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you talking Act on your own PC for your own purposes, or Act on Networked PCs, working on an Act database on the network with multiple users and security?

J/W

Lounger
    Thanks

I've found ACT very good with PDA's such as Palm Pilot and Psions. You have to download the updated link software though.

If you are synchronising it with Outlook or a PDA, backup the data files (pst for outlook, /palm/data, etc.) before synchronising. All too often I've managed to double or triple up all the data entries during the initial synch.