3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bullets and Numbering (Word 2000 SR1a)

Bullets and numbering are an old favourite on any Word board. I have just cracked a nightmare problem that may help penetrate some of the problems you've had.
    The bottom line is that if you are setting up ANY styles, make sure the unit measurement is inches rather than centimetres.
    I set up a whole load of styles with various bullets and number formats. They were all indented 2cm just like the normal style. They lined up perfectly.
    The fun started if you wanted to indent any of them. The first indent didn't quite line up the bullet or number with the text of the previous paragraph. You had to hit indent again and it then moved about the space of a full stop to correct the alignment. Tried all sorts of changes to no avail.
    On a hunch, I then changed the unit of measurement to inches and reset all the indents to a measurement expressed in inches. Yup, it all now indents in perfect steps.
    I suspect that Word's coding is in inches with a conversion for centimetres that is not as precise as it should be. Whatever the reason though, in future I will be creating all styles with the unit of measurement set to inches.
    The real daft bit, is that after the styles are set up, you can change the unit of measurement back to centimetres and it still indents and steps perfectly!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Bullets and Numbering (Word 2000 SR1a)

Isn't this due to your default tab stop setting (which uses half-inches).

If you control the paragraph settings (and tab stops if you use them) with dialog boxes rather than putting up with the grid snap that Word will give you then working in SI units shouldn't cause grief.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Andrew
    And there was me thinking I had found something useful!
    Can I check that I understand you correctly. If I went to Format | Tabs and set the interval to say 1 cm and then set all my bullet and number styles to suitable metric settings, then I understand that would stop the behaviour I described. Is that correct please?
    Thank you for your help. It is appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Peter,

You've understood right - the default tab setting controls the interval that the text will jump when you click on the increase/decrease indent buttons.

The measurement unit used doesn't matter, except to the extent that Word's out-of-the-box settings are inch-centric, so if you are working in cm or mm, you'll want to change things like the default tab setting and page margin settings, to increments that make sense with metric.

Gary