3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Open frame in new window

In IE 5.0, there was an "open frame in new window" option in the context (right-click) menu, and I used this function a lot. This option doesn't seem to be available in IE 5.5. Does anyone know if there is a way to create it or restore it? Perhaps it's in hiding somewhere. Or did MS eliminate it?

Fafner

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open frame in new window

Don't know about 5.5, but found this about 5.01 somewhere:

In Internet Explorer, you can open a link in a new window either by Shift-clicking the link or by right-clicking the link and choosing Open In New Window from the pop-up menu.

If Internet Explorer's settings are changed or corrupted, you can sometimes lose this capability. If that happens to you, restore it by selecting Run from the Start Menu and typing:

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll

Then click OK and restart your computer.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Fafner:

I have 5.5 & have the option on a context menu, so it's not because of the version. I am not sure what affects it as I have applied various patches as they came out. You could check under Tools/Internet Options/Advanced & make sure that "reuse windows for launching shortcuts" is not checked (not sure that will help).

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have it listed also. Under her 'Help' and 'About Internet Explorer' the following is listed
    Version 5.5.4522.1800IS
    UPDATE Version: SP1, Q279328

I installed my copy from the CD I ordered from MS which is for Windows 98 and 2000.
    Hope this helps.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

My information under "Help About" is the same, except mine ends with 1800CO instead of 1800IS.

Thanks

I have a recollection of an option to open the same frame in a new window - is that what you mean?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone for your quick replies. Unfortunately, we're not there yet. I'm not referring to opening a hyperlink in a new window. That option is in the context menu. What I mean is, if you are viewing a web page with frames (say, for example, a left navigation bar and a main frame) if you right-clicked inside one of the frames, but not on a link, one of the context menu options would be "Open frame in new window." By selecting this, you could, for example, lose the navigation bar on a cluttered page for easier viewing and printing. It was also handy in Hotmail, since if you click on a link in a hotmail message, the new page opens in a frame within a new hotmail window, so the URL in the address bar is a long redirect URL rather than the actual URL of the linked page. This is no good if, for example, you want to bookmark the page or to paste the url into another message. But you could right-click inside the frame and open the frame in a new window with the true URL. This option doesn't seem to be available in IE 5.5, unlike in earier versions. I've checked all the settings in Tools/Internet options.

Fafner

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I should have mentioned in my previous post that my version of IE is 5.50.4134.0600, Update version q269368

Fafner

Thanks

Gotcha - I think you're right - it is something that has gone missing. I don't have it here either on my IE5.5

ileacy

Ok on my system (5.5 ...1800).

As expected, Option only available when you right/shift click on a link.

maxg

You need to install "Web Accessories for IE5"

Go to this site; at the bottom are 4 Web Accessories. I got them all, except the toolbar wallpapers. Very Handy!

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...ss/default.asp

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I checked out Web Accessories and found what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

Fafner

MartinG

FWIW... the "Open Frame In New Window" was an option that was came along with the "Web Accessories... or was it Power Toys... or were they one and the same back then?"