stevejones

Simultaneous users

How many users can logon to an Access data base at the same time?

And how many can edit the database at the same time?

and what is the largest file size permitted with NTFS file system, using W2000, and using NT4?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Simultaneous users

In answer to your first two questions, the practical limits are determined by the design of your application, whether they're all logging into the same copy of the application, and the speed and reliability of your network connection. If you explain what you have in mind, someone will be able to say whether they've made it work within those limits.

As far as your third question goes, are you asking about Windows file sizes or the largest file you can have in Access. There's a 1GB limit in Access 97 and 2GB in 2000, but those are definitely outside limits, and the practical upper limit for performance is probably around 500Mb. You can go beyond the limits if you use links to non-Access tables or files.
    Charlotte

stevejones

Thanks for your reply.

With regard to the file size I was referring to the file size with Access. As I believe the server is NT4 at the moment, which file size is the correct one; the 1GB of W98 or the 2GB of W2000.

There are two entirely separate projects I'm enquiring about. The first is a database for job applicants, in which I wish to include as embedded objects the CV's and photocopies of testimonials and other things that arrive with the application. I would prefer to embed the objects rather than take the more obvious step of linking them, because I'm worried that if I leave and the files are moved nobody else will be able to understand why the database no longer works. Unless I can use relative links (that is to say have the database in the same folder as the sub-folders where the objects reside, and not have anything in the link which refers to the particular machine on which the folder is stored) it seems much safer to embed the objects. The database will be only ever accessed by four people, and it is unlikely that more than one would access it simultaneously. The size however would grow quite large, probably at a rate of 150MB a year or more. I'm also producing a vocabulary test database which will contain about three thousand separate multi-choice questions of two lines, each an embedded two-row five-column Word document. Do you know if each entry will therefore take up the 20KB minimum a standard Word document produces

The second project is for a database of attendance and marks for a college of four thousand students. Management is talking about buying custom made software and has bought Oracle and even hired an Oracle programmer, but bearing in mind that they have taken a year to design a simple static website and have still not got it up, I'm very doubtful if they're going to produce anything within the next eighteen months. This database would contain an immense amount of records, the largest of which would be the hourly attendance of three to four thousand students, and would be accessed by a considerable amount of people (around a hundred, and the odds are that a lot of them would be entering the attendance simultaneously). Network speed is no problem as there is a fibre optic cable (ATM network) into each wall connection for each computer! To do it on Access presents no design problem whatsoever (all the data will be entered in datasheet view, so it's just a lot of donkey work producing the queries, and setting the security settings), but I want to know what is a convenient size, and whether I should restrict it to our department (about 30 users of which only half would be using it at any one time, though the database would probably be left open on a lot of computers) or whether it's feasible as an interim measure to have the database used for the whole college, which would greatly increase the number of users, and triple the number of records. All machines have Office 2000 installed.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The limit with Access is based om the version of the Jet engine, not thr operating system. It doesn't matter which OS you're using, Access 97 has a 1GB limit.

Aside from that, you are talking about projects that properly belong in a database server, although there is nothing to stop you from building an Access front end for an Oracle backend. Don't even think about embedding all those graphics into an Access app. Put them on the server and make them accesseble only through a secure front end to keep people from moving them, but use linking to associate them with a record. In my opinion, Access is NOT the appropriate application for managing document images.
    Charlotte