Lounger
    Thanks

WinME Home Net Problems

I have three computers on WinME. All share an SMC wireless router for cable internet access and to print to a printer attached to the SMC router. The primary machine is attached to the router by cable; the others are attached by an SMC card and a D-Link Air card. This part of the network works flawlessly. A true pleasure.
    But then we would like to share certain files. I have been totlally defeated. Now I'm not sure I can even get back to "GO". On boot I get two related windows. First an MS Networking message "No domainserver was available to validate your password. You may not be able to gain access to network resources." No matter the choice I make I then get a window labeled "Enter Network Password" which has a username (user); Password (blank); and Domain (FAMILY GROUP). The Save this password box is checked. In network resources I have
    Client for MS Networks
    Internet Connection Server
    MS VPN adapter
    SOHOware 10/100 PCI/Network Adapter
    ICS (protocol)
    NDISWAN -MS VPN
    TCP/IP - ICS
    TCP-IP - SOHOware
    File & Printer sharing for MS Networks

I am using ZA 3 but I have had no luck setting this thing up with ZA and Norton anti-virus turned off so they shouldn't be players. I can do this peer-to-peer or I can set up the primary machine as the "server". Can anybody help? Please?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WinME Home Net Problems

THe only thing that jumped out at me was the fact that you're getting a "No Domain Server" error. In your Network properties, change the logon type to "Windows Logon" and see if the error goes away. Your PCs are looking for a Windows Domain Controller and aren't finding it.

With my home LAN, I simply login to the local workstation and make the systems all belong to one single Workgroup. File and printer sharing persmissions are set on a slightly different basis as I have no 9x systems on the home LAN, and I use NTFS for access control, but in your case setting the type of access control to "Share Level" is what is required.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

My Network Properties in my primary machine are set to "Windows Logon" and the access is set to control by files only (not user). Printer sharing is not checked because printing works fine as it is now.

What to do? Do I have the expected protocols? Do I need all those in use (some are required for the cable modem)? Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you are set for Windows Log on and still receiving the log on user and password screen you need to :
    1. check all protocols and make sure Windows log on is selected (Start|Settings|Network..|Prototcols)
    2. find and remove all *.pwl (password lists) start|search|files| *.pwl.
    3. reboot or better yet shutdown and restart. When the system restarts and asks for the logon information do nothing but press the Enter key.
    In a P2P environment you should not have the system set to log on to a NT domain (Under the Network/configuration tab by selecting properties of Windows Log on. If "Client for Microsoft Networks" is there, highlight and remove.

Since I have ME at home but not here at work this is all from memory, so I hope it is accurate enough for you to walk through it.