2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Arranging icons in folder

I'm operating Win 98 office 2000. I have a folder containing 10 Excel workbook icons with the same title except for the year (starting 1992) When I attempt to arrange by date (view menu), I have no luck. I then manually arrange them starting with 1992, but when I come back, my arrangement is all mixed up again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Arranging icons in folder

Where are these icons, on your desktop [img]/w3timages/icons/hairy.gif[/img]or a folder in Explorer [img]/w3timages/icons/yikes.gif[/img] ?

The '(view menu)' is in Windows Explorer, select the View on the menu, then arange Icons, by date.
    This will arrange them by the date times stamp of the file, NOT the file name. So if you saved the 1998 file after you saved the 1995 file, the sort would be newest first, which is 1995, 1998.
    Hope this helps.[img]/w3timages/icons/aflame.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/aflame.gif[/img]

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, the icons are in a folder in My Documents.

ileacy

Sort, Name, Ascending.

Assuming the only difference is the year and you are using full 4 digit years, then they should be the order you want (1992,1993,...,2001)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree but they are not and that is why I'm stumped. My icons are in this order-2001 Bloom, 2000 Bloom, 1999 Bloom, 1998 Bloom, 1993 Bloom, 1994 Bloom, 1992 Bloom, 1997 Bloom, 1996 Bloom, 1996 Bloom. I click on the view menu and select Arrange icons by Date. Nothing changes!

ileacy

No no.
    You want to select "View|Arrange Icons|By Name", not "View|Arrange Icons|By Date".

As Dave mentioned previously, View|By Date is an arbritary and unpredictable order. The year embedded in your file name gives you the correct logical order.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, that did it. I guess I have to learn the difference between name and date.