2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

strange startup problem (Office 97 SR 1)

I'm teaching in a lab with 20 computers. This morning we were on Excel and had no problems. This afternoon, one computer would start up excel by opening about 8 files automatically. The weird thing is that the files are from a program that our music teacher downloaded off the internet and saved to the server--they aren't Excel files and they just import as gibberish. I don't know how this occurred. I've never seen it before except for MS Works where you could save a workspace.

I've closed all these files and gotten to a blank spreadsheet and then saved workspace, but that didn't change anything (maybe workspace in Excel is different than in Works, I've never looked in to it)

What can I do to get rid of this?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: strange startup problem (Office 97 SR 1)

Just a stab in the dark, but could there be a shortcut to these files in the Excel statup folder?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Where is that folder? I see an XLStart folder inside of the Office folder, but all that is there is an MSCREATE.DIR file with a 0 size. The startup folder has the exact same file in it.

Could there be a macro virus that could have done this? I see know way that this could have happened accidentally and the person who used that computer last is not the type of student that would have done anything with it.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

On the PC with the problem, check under Tools, Options, General tab and see if there is an Alternate Startup file location specified.

This setting typically points to a folder on the network, so it may contain the downloaded files, and if so you can move them to an alternate location.

It is also possible depending on the OS your are running that there are different XLStart folders for each user.

Andrew C

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks--that was it. I had told the students to change the Default File Location--this particular student went to the Alternate startup file location line.