New Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupt document (Word 97 SR-2)

I have a document that indicates that it may be corrupt. I have tried the following without success:
    1. edit, select all, copying and pasting to a new document, saving and re-opening;
    2. highlighting whole document except last paragraph mark, saving as RTF and re-opening.

The file is a reasonable size in 1.2mb and about 74 pages. It has (unfortunately) been 'cobbled' together from many different files and different systems.

Also, styles seem to have been 'corrupted' in that standard Heading 1, 2, 3 etc no longer show outline numbering no matter what I do, even though outline numbering is set in styles. Even selecting text that is Normal and applying a heading style won't turn on numbering.

Can someone please tell me how to recover? I do have access to Word 2000 SR-1 if required.

Thanks

Re: Corrupt document (Word 97 SR-2)

On the first step, you want to select all except the last paragraph when you copy and paste. This certainly is not guaranteed to get rid of all problems in a document, and further steps likely will be necessary. Perhaps, though, doing that first, then saving that as RTF, will help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Given the size of the document, even omitting the last paragraph and pasting into a new document, is likely to bring the corruption along into the new document, particularly is there is incompatible numbering involved and the numbering has gone funny. 'Cobbled' documents with incompatible numbering is a classic Word problem scenario.

Often in this situation, the only solution is to copy the entire document, and then PasteSpecial > Unformatted Text into a clean new document, and then reapply all the styles. It may also be useful to do the following: Select All, apply Normal style, Control + Q and Control+Spacebar - before copying the content of the document - technically you shouldn't have to do this if you use PasteSpecial > Unformatted Text, but I've seen corrupted documents where even PasteSpecial > Unformatted Text was making Word crash - applying the Normal style and removing direct formatting before doing the PasteSpecial solved the problem. (Of course, print out a hard copy of the original file before you do this, to use as a guide for restyling the new document.)

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the good advice. The PasteSpecial>Unformatted Text combined with selective deleting, copying and pasting is overcoming corruptions and problems with styles.