Star Lounger
    Thanks

'Merging' Rows (2000)

I have a bunch of rows that have essentially the same data, except one column. For example, the rows would look something like:

9804 John $100
    9804 Chris $200
    9804 Jeff $300

I would like to be able to take this range and merge it into a row,

9804 $600

Based on the ID# in the first column. I looked at the Consolidate data function but I can't seem to get it to do what I want it to do. I know I could write a macro using a simple loop to scan through and grab data, but I was wondering if there was a shortcut. Thank you.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Merging' Rows (2000)

Dunno that this is a shortcut, but one approach is to select the area to summarize, Data, Subtotal the data on the field code which contains 9804, then Data, Group and Outline, Clear Outline, (note) then Data Sort, then delete all rows except the totals, then if you wish Find-&-replace the word Totals with nothing and format as required.

(note) At this point you can go in some other directions, such as grouping the data at the total level, then selecting Edit, Go To, Special, Visible Cells, and then copy the total data and paste it to another location, with Past Special Values if appropriate.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Merging' Rows (2000)

You could use the text to columns function, using the delimited option where the delelimiter is a space.
    This will separate the colum into 3 columns. (Note you will need towo extra blank columns created before you do this as the operation will clobber any data in the following two columns)

At this point you can combine the columns in any manner.