2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

icon file locations? (97/sr2)

normal.dot gets lost if Word hangs or power blacks out at the wrong moment. so I have a few spare copies masquerading under false filenames. But I'd like to know where my home-made icons are hidden, and I'd like to be able to edit microsoft's icons too. Dear old WSWIN had a nice feature: the "save" icon changed from having a green patch to having a red one as soon as the current save became obsolete. Can I make one like this for Word??
    All help gratefully received!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: icon file locations? (97/sr2)

Not sure what you mean by "home-made icons". Have you done a hard disk search for *.ico?

On editing Microsoft icons, you're probably looking at buying an icon-editing program; which may go beyond your actual needs. One of the best is Microangelo. HTH
    Gre

Thanks

There is a property of each document called Saved that indicates whether the document remains unchanged from its last save. The question is, how often and in response to what event do you want to check that property? If you monitor every keystroke, your poor computer would be doing way too much work, but if you don't, the icon might not be accurate. Interesting problem, lots of trade-offs, definitely do-able, but perhaps easier to press Ctrl+S if one has any doubts than to squint at an icon.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Don't know about making the icon change from green to red, but the custom (or modified) toolbars are stored in the template and can be copied from template to template using the Organizer.

To edit a button image -- Tools, Customize, right click on the button you want to modify (after it has been placed on a toolbar), then select Edit Button Image.

WordPerfect will tell you if your document has been modified on the status bar -- Word has no equivalent built-in feature.