New Lounger
    Thanks

Numlock (WinXp Pro)

Hi,
    I noticed that after installing Windows XP, the num lock is not automatically activated everytime I switched on my computer. How do I make it do so? Any help will be appreciated.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Numlock (WinXp Pro)

There is a registry setting that controls the numlock in all versions of NT (which XP hails from). As the saying goes though, there is more than one way to skin a cat (ugh, I hate that phrase and so do my cats).

Ahem. At any rate, you can edit the registry yourself if you're comfortable with it. The key is as follows:

HKEY_USERS.DefaultControl PanelKeyboardInitialKeyboardIndicators

The value for this is a string and should be 2. The same sub-key also exists under HKEY_CURRENT_USER and should be set at the same value.

This is documented by Microsoft as well: How to Enable the NUM LOCK Key for the Logon Screen (Q315468)

X-teq X-setup can modify this for you as well, as can about a hundred other tweaking utilities. These don't require registry editing but they do require software installation. Given a choice I opt for the former, but I have a tweaking thumb, so your mileage may vary.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Numlock (WinXp Pro)

Well thank you. I've edited the registry data and hope that it works. I kinda hate to download an external program just to change a setting so thanks again.