New Lounger
    Thanks

Write protect Inbox located in Personal Folders (Outlook 2000)

Is it possible to write protect the Inbox in Personal Folders so users cannot accidentally delete the folder?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Write protect Inbox located in Personal Folders (Outlook 2000)

You can't do this and still be able to open it in Outlook. But if you can set the file properties to read only, which will either prevent deletion, or prompt the user to confirm it - depending on their rights. To do this use windows explorer to browse to the file, right click on it and choose properties. Put a check on the read only box.

If the file's on a network you may be able to set folder permissions to deny deletion writes to the folder and/or the file. This would do what you want and let the users open the file too.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I find your response a bit confusing. What file are you referring to in your suggestion of setting the permission to READ ONLY?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Write protect Inbox located in Personal Folder

Your *.pst file: default location [username]Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook. This is your default "Personal Folders" file, which contains your Inbox. There is no simple way to protect the Inbox alone without causing a number of side issues. HTH
    Gre

Thanks

Re: Write protect Inbox located in Personal Folder

I didn't think you could delete Inbox as it was a default folder - you can't rename or move it for that matter.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I may have caused some confusion here. As lief said, you can't delete your in box (at least the UI shouldn't let you). So I assumed - when will I ever learn - that you had to be using a pst file for rather than a server-based mailbox. It is possible for users to delete a pst file. My comments all related to that file and its properties. If you are using Exchange or another server-based mail system, then they don't apply.

If your users have somehow managed to delete a core folde like the inbox you can restore it by logging on the their account with a switch. Go to Start | Run, Type: Outlook.exe /ResetFolders.
    You may have to provide the full path to outlook, usually: "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeOutlook.exe" (with the quotes).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the clarification.

I am referring to users with Exchange accounts. We create a .pst file for each user and some users do mistakenly delete their Inbox or Sent Items folder. We do use Outlook Recovery to recover folders but prevention would be nice; that is why I posed the question in regards to write protection of the folder(s) within the .pst file.

I will try the the "switch" sometime to see how that goes.