3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access controlling Word to create TXT file (2000)

In order to have Access read the lines of a Word file, I have Word save the file as a text file.

The problem is that I can't seem to get the right code to have Word save the text file without all the formatting gibberish throughout the document.

I am using the following code, where 'mydocname' is a variable which contains the filename:

WordApp.ActiveDocument.SaveAs FileName:=mydocname, FileFormat:=wdFormatTextLineBreaks, _
    EmbedTrueTypeFonts:=False

When I use exactly the same code (minus 'wordapp.') in Word, it works fine. But from Access, I get all the formatting junk.

How can I resolve this? I have tried saving as a DOS text file, but no good.

Thanks very much in advance!

Thanks

Re: Access controlling Word to create TXT file (2000)

Hi,
    Just a quick thought - do you have a reference set to the Word Object library? If not, then you'll probably find that the wdFormatTextLineBreaks constant has a value of 0 (because Access doesn't know what it is), which is the equivalent of wdFormatDocument to Word. If you replace wdFormatTextLineBreaks with 3 does that help? If you do have the reference set, try changing the constant to Word.wdFormatTextLineBreaks and see if that does the trick.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access controlling Word to create TXT file (2000)

Thank you - I did not have a reference set to the Word Object library - fixed the problem instantly.
    Much appreciated!