5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Handouts Formatting (Office 97)

I am new to PowerPoint. With a multi-slide presentation I can print handouts showing 3 slides per page. This results in having a smaller version of 3 of the slides in a column on the left side of the page and some blank lines for note-taking on the right side.

Question: How can I reduce the margin on the left of those slides and increase the length of the note lines on the right side? BTW, those lines are very short on my PC but they are longer on some other PCs!

I know that to some degree that layout is controlled by the Handouts Master. I can view this master by going to View > Master > Handout Master but I can't find any way to move the slides over to the left or make the lines longer -- the left margin beside those slides is MUCH larger than the half-inch margin that is provided by the Page Setup settings. The right margin beside the note lines is far too big too and there is a huge amount of blank space down the middle of the page. I want to use a lot of those blank spaces for note lines.

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks

Re: Handouts Formatting (Office 97)

I've never found any way to change those layouts, but through this board I discovered the File, Send To... Microsoft Word option. In PPT2000, you can have a Word document that replicates the layout you are describing (it shows two slides plus notes lines in the dialog, but 3 fit on a page). Hopefully this exists in PPT97 as well.

If you are handy in Word, you then can reformat the document significantly, including deleting the left column (slide numbers), resizing all the slide images (see <!post=Post #134611,134611>Post #134611<!/post> for a macro to do this, and choose the scale % that suits your needs), and lengthening the note lines (global find and replace, they are just long strings of __ characters). You can delete unnecessary slides (table rows), and after converting them to pictures, you can touch them up in Paint if you wish.

In many ways, it is pathetic that PPT doesn't just let you do this, or maybe it does and I just don't know how. But if you need a fallback, try this.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Handouts Formatting (Office 97)

Thanks for the great information. PP 97 can export to Word as you described and that is what we are doing now. The reformatting macro that you provided a link to looks like it may solve the manual editing problem that is the major disadvantage of the export approach. I'm going to try to implement that now.

Thanks,
    Bill