Thanks

Moving an Application to a Second HDD

I am running Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A.

My machine contains two SCSI hard disks and a larger IDE which I use only to store Norton Ghost back-up images. Originally all of my applications and working files were on one of the two SCSI drives. Recently I moved my digital photography files to the second SCSI hard disk. My reading of posts on Adobe forums suggest to me that my photo editing software would probably run better if it were on D: as well, since the disk would not be as subject to fragmentation brought on by general use under which files are created and deleted regularly.

Do I need to uninstall the photo editing software and then reinstall it so that Win 98 can find it, or do I simply create a Programs path on D: and drag the whole subdirectory involved with the photo editor there? I know enough about the Registry to be concerned that this simple approach might not work, but not enough to know why.

If I were being really fastidious, would it pay to empty D: and reformat it and then first place the photo editor on it? Would this place the program files all in contiguous portions of the drive where they might work together more efficiently? Can I accomplish the same just by defragging D: and then making the move?

Thanks in advance for any help and insights.

Baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moving an Application to a Second HDD

That sounds like a misconception by whoever posted it in Adobe's forums. Once a program loads into memory, fragmentation isn't an issue. If you have two drives, having all of your data on one and the OS/Program files on the other isn't a bad idea. You can also move the Windows swap file to a separate drive, preferable to me.

If you were being really fastidious, and wanted to go through the effort, I'd install Windows on the C: drive, and change the location of My Documents to the D: drive instead. Leave all of the program files on C: as well. You don't benefit from moving them perceptibly. Put your paging file on D:.

Remember, fragmentation of any file system is inevitable. It's going to happen. You can reduce it with certain practices, certainly, but not eliminate it. Only more space on the drive will prevent fragmentation significantly in my experience, because there is always a free block of space available.
    -Mark

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have not found any inprovement whit the data files on the same hard drive. The only times that I see a speed difference is if the dat file is on a floppy or other removable type. I have also seen some slowness using a network drive, but all local drives are fine.

As for moving a program, the best thing is to unistall from one drive, reboot, and then install it on the other drive. That said, there are some program movers out there, the only one I have used was the one that came with Partition Magic.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Thank you Mark and Dave.

I should have been more articulate.

I moved the photos because they take up a lot of space and C: was getting full.

I am considering moving the photo editor because it writes a lot of temporary files to disk as it is running. Adobe suggests strongly that before editing photos one should defrag the hard disk. Perhaps I am naive, but if the editor is on D: I trust that its temp files will be there, too. I anticipate that it is easier to keep a disk that contains only photos and a photo editor defragged.

I asked about reformatting, installing the editor, and then reloading the data files because I recognize that D: is now fragmented. Perhaps it is as effective to just defrag it then move the editing application?
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think the temp files will be in Windows/temp on a 9X machine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.