New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem changing template in code (Word 2002`)

I would like to set a new document template in AutoNew. However, I get the following error message: "Could not change document template" The error number is 5947. In fact, Word often crashes altogether and I get the "Microsoft Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." dialog. The "To see what data this error report contains" locates the problem in MOdName: vbe6.dll, ModVer 6.3.91.8, Offset: 0000a6e2. I tried replacing the vbe6.dll, but the error still occurs.

This is the code which causes the problem:

Sub AutoNew()

On Error GoTo ErrHandler

' Help says the following syntax should work,
    ' but it doesn't. Path and filename are correct.

With ActiveDocument
    .ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate = "Cocuments and Settingsongho_2Application DataMicrosoftTemplatesLetter.dot"
    Selection.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles("Body Text")
    End With

Exit Sub

ErrHandler:
    If Err <> 0 Then

' Display an error message.
    MsgBox Err.Description & " - Error number is " & Err.Number _
    & ", located in " & Err.Source

End Sub

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problem changing template in code (Word 2002`)

The syntax

<pre>With ActiveDocument
    .ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate = "Cocuments and Settingsongho_2Application
    </pre>

Is equivalent to
    <pre>ActiveDocument.ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplat e = "Cocuments and Settingsongho_2Application
    </pre>

which has one too many ActiveDocuments.

If I try to run your code then I get run time error 438. "Object doesn't support this property or method" which is what I would expect since the ActiveDocument doesn't have an ActiveDocument property.

Try leaving out the .ActiveDocument at the beginning of the second line and see what happens.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problem changing template in code (Word 2002`)

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the reply, pointing out the double use of the "ActiveDocument" keyword. I immediately went to my code, but alas, my code was correct, I merely copied it incorrectly in my earlier post here.

Since I posted, I've been doing a little experimenting, and I've been able to get the code to work with other templates -- it looks like the particular template I was using is corrupted. Rats, I'll have to rebuild the template, if I can't find a backup.

Thanks!