Star Lounger
    Thanks

MFC42U.dll missing

Hi folks,

Got a problem I need help with:

I'm running 98SE. Out of the blue today, when I clicked on System Information, I got a popup telling me that MFC42U.dll was not found, and System Information would not load. I searched the install CD and couldn't find the file at all. Then I went online and found 2 sites with the file, which I downloaded. When I copied to the WindowsSystem directory and tried again, (twice), it told me "This MFC file is a Unicode something or other that doesn't run under Win 95, only under NT." And I still couldn't load System Information.

Does anyone have any clues as to what has happened, and what I can do to correct it?

Thanks for the help.

Charlie T.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MFC42U.dll missing

When you searched the Win98 CD, did you use the System File Checker? Try running that utility all the way through, telling it to check for changed and deleted files. It will take a while to get through it all but it's worth the effort.

You can also use the SFC tool to restore that single file. One of the first options is to extract a single file from CD.

<UL><LI>Description of the System File Checker Tool (Sfc.exe) (Q185836)[/list]
    -Mark