New Lounger
    Thanks

Italics & Underline (Word 97)

Sometimes when I use italics or underline it causes the text to fall slightly under the line of text. It doesnt happen every time but when it does it does it to the whole document. Any ideas gratefully received - this one has been bugging me for a while!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Italics & Underline (Word 97)

Does this show in the printed document? And is it persistent? I mean, is the effect still visible after you press PageUp and/or PageDown a few times?
    Sometimes, when you apply a lot of formatting, Word gets confused about the screen display and doesn't update it correctly. But usually, this doesn't effect printed output.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes - it is when I print - it shows perfectly fine on screen - its is only once printed that you get it.

Also I printed a document yesterday and it happened - but when I print it today it is ok?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can try the following:
    1. <LI>Select Tools/Options,
      <LI>Click the Compatibility tab,
      <LI>Check "Use printer metrics to lay out document".
    It could also be a problem with the printer driver. If the above doesn't help, you might try
    <UL><LI>Installing the printer driver again, or
    <LI>See if a newer printer driver is available (from the manufacturer or search on the internet).[/list]

KTYorke

I agree with HansV that it may be a printer driver. I get this every once in a while even when printing multiple documents on the same printer (a document in the middle may be messed up and the rest are fine) I've found that it also happens with bold text.

Before you try reinstalling the driver, and If you have access to more than one printer, you may want to try switching printers... then switching back. This works as a quick fix for a while but I think the better solution is to update the drivers.
    have fun