Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Moving Temporary Internet Files (IE6)

This may be another of the "works everywhere except on my machine" problems, but I am entirely unable to move the Temporary Internet Files from D:TEMP (D: is my NT4 SP6a operating system disk) to somewhere a bit more sensible. I go through the usual process, selecting an alternative location, am asked to allow myself to be logged off to complete the moving process, log on again, and hey presto! the Temporary Internet files folder is back where it was originally, on D:TEMP (which has been given the attribute System).

Needless to say there's nothing on TechNet, and I've tried it several times, and there was never a problem with IE 5.01 SP2.

Has anyone ever met this problem, or could offer advice? Thanks!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moving Temporary Internet Files (IE6)

John, I will have to look on an NT4 box, but I am not sure if the D:/TEMP directory is the same as the "Temporary Internet Files" directory. On every other version of Windows, these are two completely separate things.

I believe the TEMP directory is usually set somewhere early in the boot process -- I think it was previously done in Autoexec.bat or Config.sys. However, the newer incantations of Windows don't use these -- so it *may* be in MSdos.sys or the Io.sys files. I don't know for sure.

The Temporary Internet Files (TIF) folder varies in location between Win9x and WinNT/2K -- because the NT kernel is designed more for multiple users. The TIF is usually in a "user" directory under Win2K.

You can usually move the TIF by opening Tools | Internet Options... | Temporary Internet files Settings button -- and selecting "Move Folder".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

OK, for Win98, you could change the Temp directory by adding this line into autoexec.bat:

Set Temp=

After the = you could type the path to the new Temp folder. However, this will not work in NT. In NT, these are the instructions to modify the Temp folder location:

From the Start Menu, choose Settings, then Control Panels.
    Open the System Control Panel.
    Click the Environment Tab.
    In the list of User Variables at the bottom, there is one called TEMP. This is your TEMP folder.
    You can click on it to change the value.

But... Again, you need to figure out if you are really talking about the TEMP directory or the TIF...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I run NT4 - the Temp and Temp Internet Files folders are separate.

Additional users MAY ( it seems a bit quirky in doing this) acquire their own Temp Internet Folders in their profile which seem to be purely for indexing purposes - tho I haven't looked too closely.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Apologies, I may not have made myself sufficiently clear!

I've been running NT 4 SP 6a for at least two years and have been using IE since version 3. I was quite happy with the various locations that IE has chosen to place Temporary Internet Files over the years - except for IE6, recently installed, where to my considerable surprise it stuck them in the TEMP directory, and gave the directory the attribute System. I was [bold]certainly[/bold] not expecting to have the T.I/F.s allocated in %TEMP%!

The problem is that I can't move the T.I.F. location to somewhere more logical, even though I go through "the usual process" that someone has mentioned. I would like to do so.
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

John,

There appears to be some reported 'incompatability' twixt NT4 and IE6.

Amongst some rather obscure references, I came across this from a Google cached page. Perhaps if you clear out everything and can zap your index.dat it might help. ....
    <hr>
    Note: Keep in mind that Windows NT includes Windows NT 4.X Windows 2000 (NT 5.0) and Windows XP (NT 5.1). This tip is for NT systems.
    The Windows 98 made it easy to delete Internet Explorer's data cache from the command prompt (outside of Windows). But the NT platform may present a problem trying this same trick. Worse yet, there's a bug in IE6 that causes the browser to slow down and start eating up 100% of the CPU cycles. The cause is a corrupt cache that cannot be cleared using the Internet Options dialog.

Every once in awhile it is a good idea to clear out IE's cache (stored Internet files and cookies). Open the DOS command prompt or open run and enter "CMD.EXE". Next, navigate to C: Documents and Settings [Username] Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content.IE5.

Close any other applications you may have running. Pull up the Task Manager (CTRL + SHIFT + ESC), right-click the EXPLORER.EXE process and select the "End Process" option. At this point, all you should have on the screen is the Command window. Enter "del index.dat" no quotes. You may need to check and see if your path is correct.

Click your desktop and restart the Windows Explorer. Pull up the Task Manager again, Click to the "Applications" tab, and click the "New Task" button. Enter - explorer

Again, this tip is for those above the novice level and have an NT OS. <hr>

Star Lounger
    Thanks

FWIW I'm on the same config as you, John, and my TIF folder is both where I put it, and full of the junk you would expect.....

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

John, I just haven't had time to look into NT4, but in Win98 you can search through your registry for "Temporary" or "Temp" or "Cache". Then you may have to manually direct the TIF (cache) to the folder you want -- every time you see it in the Registry. I know this works in Win98...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

I closed all running programs down, deleted everything in and under anything that said "Temporary Internet Files", and restarted. I changed the cache size down to 1MB (can't use 0MB!), and tried moving the T.I.F.s again. But having been logged off, and logging on again, we're back to %temp% for the location of the T.I.Fs. And I need to re-enter my Louge username and password, of course!

Changing the registry keys which contained D:TEMP would be a neat idea but for the huge quantity of entries containing D:TEMP which are unrelated to IE - so a rather more precise pointer would be needed, I feel.

Don't you hate Microsoft somemost times?

Ita, esto, quidcumque...